Weird poops after 7 days of Corid.

Hannahnic14

Crowing
Apr 29, 2021
Middle Tennessee
My bantam flock just finished a 7 day course of Corid. 2tsp per gallon in their water. I found these poops this morning. No one is acting strange, everyone looks healthy. All are eating fine. Pics are of 3 different droppings.

Attachments

• 20210802_072443.jpg
    20210802_072443.jpg
    955 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210802_072454.jpg
    20210802_072454.jpg
    857.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210802_072436.jpg
    20210802_072436.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
I have seen similar with my quails by using sav-a-chick probiotic. I think it introduced coccidiosis to their system. I am sorry I am not much help since I am trying to get an answer for this myself.

My bantam flock just finished a 7 day course of Corid. 2tsp per gallon in their water. I found these poops this morning. No one is acting strange, everyone looks healthy. All are eating fine. Pics are of 3 different droppings.
That just looks to be intestinal shedding.

Are those from one bird, or several? If several I'd go 3 more days on the corid just to be safe.

I have seen similar with my quails by using sav-a-chick probiotic. I think it introduced coccidiosis to their system. I am sorry I am not much help since I am trying to get an answer for this myself.
Coccidiosis is found in the soil naturally.

I never had any birds get Coccidiosis from probiotics.

How old are they? Is it doable for you to get a fecal float test done?
Other internal parasites can cause increased intestinal shed. If it were my flock I'd either get the fecal done (not usually terribly expensive-there are mail in options if you don't have a vet that will do it), or I would worm them.

How old are they? Is it doable for you to get a fecal float test done?
Other internal parasites can cause increased intestinal shed. If it were my flock I'd either get the fecal done (not usually terribly expensive-there are mail in options if you don't have a vet that will do it), or I would worm them.
They vary from 8 weeks to 4 months. I have thought about worming them as a precaution. Do you have info on how to go about doing that?

You can use Safeguard (either liquid goat wormer or horse paste) or you can use Valbazen (it's labeled for cattle). Safeguard is often available locally, Valbazen often needs to be mail ordered. If you do not know what parasite you are treating for then dosing for Safeguard would be .23 ml per pound of bird weight for 5 days in a row, use an oral syringe and dose directly to each bird. Valbazen dose would be 20 mg per kg of bird weight, about .2 ml per 2.2 pounds (actual math is: weight in lbs / 2.2 X 20 mg / 113.6), repeat Valbazen dose in 10 days. Same way with an oral syringe directly to each bird. Both of those medications will treat most common worms, except tapeworm.
I lock mine in the coop after dark when they've all gone to roost. Go out the next morning before light and take them off the roost one at a time and dose. Turn them out into the run once dosed, when the coop is empty everyone has been dosed. An inexpensive digital kitchen scale works well for getting weights, put a lightweight plate or tray on top and zero it if they need more space to balance while you weigh them, only takes a second.
I'm right handed, I hold each bird under my left arm (you can sit, stand or kneel-whatever works for you) with my arm wrapped around to hold the beak or wattles (some don't have wattles). Pull down on the wattles to open the beak, use the syringe to dispense the dose into the front of the beak .5 ml at a time or less (to reduce risk of aspiration), let go and let them swallow it. Repeat until the entire dose is given. Gets easier with practice. I use the same syringe for all of them when worming, some people use multiple syringes and pre-load them when doing many birds. When using the liquid wormers you need to shake them real well before drawing up your dose.

Back
Top Bottom