Weird problem

Aesha03

In the Brooder
May 19, 2022
I have 9 chickens that have 10 acres to free range on during the day as well as a coop and run that is always available to them. The coop and run has shade, food, and water always available, and is in the back, not near the house. The problem is that my chickens always want to be on my front porch. I don't have food or water on the porch. I have tried to make the porch as uninviting as I can, and chase them away whenever I see them. I have ordered a motion sensor sprinkler to deter them (sorry in advance to the mail man), but I am curious why they do this? Is there any other ideas to keep them off the porch?

Do you have bushes or any hiding spots in your yard besides your porch? They may just feel safer there, especially from aerial predators, like hawks.
I have a few, but Maybe I can add more

I am curious why they do this? Is there any other ideas to keep them off the porch?
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Ultimately you are their god and provider. They are bonded to you and KNOW you go in that door and return from it. Plus if they see you hanging out there.. then it must be safe and monkey see, chicken do!

My birds have always done this :he and the only way to keep them off my patio.. is NOT free ranging or enclosing the patio. It's not about more bushes, that won't likely change the behavior.. my property is LUSH with vegetation here in the Pacific Northwest. The motion sprinkler may help.. I wouldn't want the water everywhere, but totally considered it!

That's kinda what's funny.. the chickens still stick within a certain distance of their "home" NO matter how much range is available to them..

Also.. I did find it be maybe certain times of the day.. they seem to move around (with the sun perhaps) foraging under bushes and such.

Best wishes resolving this! :)

Back
Top Bottom