weird regional words...

Vcomb

Songster
11 Years
Aug 19, 2008
South Dakota
My Coop
My Coop
kind of a spinoff of Southern 101 thread - let's hear words that until you visited a specific place you'd never heard of, and once they learned you had no idea what they were talking about they knew you weren't from there.

In my case one word is "wonky". When I moved to Minnesota for college I heard this word from several instructors during class. Eventually I figured out that it meant "off" or "not quite right".

Another was used by a friend of mine from Chicago. She was complementing me on my muscular arms by saying they looked "swoll". At the time I didn't quite get what she was saying, so I replied something like, "I feel fine". Turns out "swoll" meant the same as saying "built" or "ripped".

Last edited:
Well, one of the words that threw me when I moved to AZ was "tank". Where I come from we call a BIG hole full of water a "pond". - Frog pond, fish pond, mill pond, etc.
idunno.gif

Quote:
now i'm curious how that'd sound, care to use it in a sentence?

yo, we're gonna broody some radio's from un locked cars tonight! You in?
lau.gif

We also use clutch meaning it's tight

Like , yo that shirt is clutch! Where did you get it?
Tight meaning off the hook, off the hook meaning cool...
lau.gif

Ack! There's a pet peeve of mine, when folks call everything a pond. A pond is natural, and a tank is man made, usually for livestock. I've gotten in very heated arguments about this with people from Mississippi who insist that my family have ponds on their property. No, they do not.

I've heard some Canadians mention this strange word . . . snow. Can't for the life of me figure out what they think they're talking about.
tongue.png

Last edited:
Quote:
It's definatly a regional thing. In the Northwest, it's a pond. a tank is an above ground steel vessel for containing liquids, or underground storage vessel, or a military fighting vehicle. Sorry, that's just the way it is.
tongue.png

Quote:
Yup, They're ponds here
wink.png
. Personally i like it better than "tank" in my opinion a tank is a metal enclosure (think that's the right word?.. im tired) used to carry that of liquid "gas tanks/tankers for example" OR.. that of a Fish tank.

Last edited:
Quote:
now that's pretty hilarious. I've heard clutch and tight before, teens of the midwest love to use these sorts of words semi-mockingly
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom