Weird rice-grain like thing in my egg yolk

littleredkapahi

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2022
What is this nasty white thing and isthe egg safe to eat?
20220516_111812.jpg

There is a tuberous filament called the chalazae that holds the yolk to the shell (so the yolk always turns "sunnyside" up when a hen is brooding). It should be somewhat softish if that is the case.

However, if it has texture, I'm not sure what that is, but it looks very suspiciously like a tape worm segment, though I can't imagine that is a frequent occurrence in eggs. (I just did a google search and found a 1973 research paper that actually did find tape segments in eggs.)

Are you sure it wasn't on the plate to begin with?

I've seen plenty of tissue parts in eggs. Generally they are dark pinkish brown and simply shed lining from the egg tract. They are harmless to eat.

If the piece isn't very soft, but has texture to it and seems like a segment, I'd check for tapeworms on the hens. You'll see them as grains of rice in the poo and on poo clumps on the feathers by the vent.

If tapes, you have to treat with praziquantel.

@dawg53 Chalazae or tape segment?

LofMc

Yuck! Hope its not tapeworm segment. I did deworm them a couple months ago after visibly seeing a worm in one of their poops.

The egg itself actually looks kind of odd to me, so I'd toss it either way personally.

Back
Top Bottom