Weird rooster behavior, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by eleanorkay, Aug 10, 2010.

1. eleanorkay

eleanorkay Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2010
    Big Rapids, MI
    When I got home from work my 2 sebright roosters were in the coop "making" nest in the bedding. Then they would "sit" in them like a chicken would to lay an egg.(I think we haven't had any eggs yet). The three girls were out free ranging by themselves. I've never seen this before the roosters are always so protective of them. They are all 18 weeks old now, and I know that its getting time to get rid of one of the roosters because they are beginning to fight. [​IMG][​IMG]

2. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    I have heard that roosters will make nests and sit on them to show the hens how to lay eggs and to encourage them! LOL It is so sweet!

3. cheeps

cheeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Rockwell, NC
    My enormous standard cochin rooster "Harvey" has done that before. They free-range in summer, and they have picked out a spot in between two tree roots as their nest. One day I found big goofy Harvey on the "nest", clucking and fussing at me like a broody hen!

4. blaundee

blaundee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    I have had chickens since I was 8 years old and have never heard of such a thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course, most of the chickens I've had were American Game, and I cold NEVER imagine one of those proud birds in a nest!!!! RFLOL

I don't know how I'd handle that one...

5. myfester

myfester Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2009
    Oxford, PA
    Both of my silkie roosters will do the same thing when I go in the coop to clean it! I was wondering also if that was normal. I figured that they were showing me that I need to make a nest to lay an egg. They will even do a "grunting" sound. I was very confused because they act like roosters in every other way. It is just so adorable that they care for me like that. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by