weird shaped thin egg with "soft" yolk

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TNBarnQueen, Mar 14, 2011.

1. TNBarnQueen

TNBarnQueen Songster

Oct 28, 2010
    East Tennessee
    I hope this is the thread where I need to ask the questions I cannot answer. I have a hen, 18 mo. old, who has always laid jumbo eggs and since she started laying has only missed 3 days to leave me an egg. I have her in a flock of 16. About a week ago I noticed her eggs where looking thin shelled and the small end looks wrinkled...almost like it "turned" when she was laying it. After their looking like this for 5 days I decided to break some for baking. The yolks have become more of an orange color...kinda like the yolk of a Maran egg (This hen is a mutt). The yolks are very soft to the point that even dropping them in the bowl burst the yolk. All the other hens eggs are fine...good hard shells. I feed my hens laying pellets, fresh veggies and snacks of bread. I always have oyster shell in the hen house for them. This really is a puzzle. Anyone have any idea what is going on?? [​IMG]
    Thanks![​IMG]

2. man-of-steel78

man-of-steel78 Hatching

Feb 11, 2011
    I don't know if this will even help but I like to give my chicks spinach. This seems to help my yolks.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  3. TNBarnQueen

TNBarnQueen Songster

Oct 28, 2010
    East Tennessee
    The biggest problem is the thinness of the egg and why it changed so drastically. It is like the entire egg is just breaking down. I know there is a disease they can develop that causes the shells to wrinkle but don't know what it is called so I can research. Thanks for telling about the spinach...will try it!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: