jfnahabedian

In the Brooder
Sep 24, 2019
Please help! I am wondering if this is cause for alarm. My easter egger just laid this soft egg with a puffy coating. Yolk was broken seemed to be most of the inside of the egg. Chicken didn't lay for a few days then laid this egg.

- Easter Egger - 9 months old. Normal weight. usually lays small blue/green eggs.
- Usually lays once per day.
- Didn't lay for 3 days then laid this egg today.
- Poop clumped on tail feathers trimmed away yesterday. Cloaca was clear though and clean.
- No other chickens (5 others) seem to be affected
- No signs of trauma
- Eating, drinking, pooping normally
- Poop looks normal but has been clumping on tail feathers (cloaca not blocked and clean)
- I am hoping to treat myself if possible.
- Chickens kept in clean 4'x4'x4' coup at night with 6' x 12' x 5' run. Pine shavings in run and coup changed ~weekly. Feeding standard layer feed with clean water with a bit of AC Vinegar added.

Attachments

• Egg1.jpg
    Egg1.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 20
  • egg2.jpg
    egg2.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 15
  • egg3.jpg
    egg3.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
We have all gotten the oddball egg from time to time, when they start laying, when they are stopping, when they are molting, and well, just at random. Something interrupts the egg process and it doesn't work quite right. Unless it is happening with regularity, I wouldn't be worried. It takes about 24 hours to produce an egg. Any sort of stress during that time can effect it. It doesn't take major stress, just a little squabble could do it.

Also... You didn't mention treats. If you feed treats of any kind don't offer more than a tablespoon full per bird.
Any more than that and you are taking away from a complete balanced diet.

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

That look like a shell-less egg... and most likely just a young layer hiccup from her reproductive system coming on line and working out it's kinks.

Laying can be a a bit sporadic in hatchery EE... but hopefully she will become more consistent as she matures a bit. :fl

Thank you this puts me more at-ease! Still gunna watch her closely though

We have all gotten the oddball egg from time to time, when they start laying, when they are stopping, when they are molting, and well, just at random. Something interrupts the egg process and it doesn't work quite right. Unless it is happening with regularity, I wouldn't be worried. It takes about 24 hours to produce an egg. Any sort of stress during that time can effect it. It doesn't take major stress, just a little squabble could do it.
Thank you. This puts me a bit more at-ease. I love my chickens so I tend to assume the worst!

Back
Top Bottom