Weird Thing in Egg

Adamjlaw

Hatching
Sep 4, 2023
Got my girls in the spring. They’ve been laying for a few months. They’re all buffs. This is the first weird thing in an egg and I don’t know what it is. Any info is appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3083.jpeg
    IMG_3083.jpeg
    225.2 KB · Views: 34
Do you still have this mass? if so, can you cut it open and take a photo? Seems too large to be a meat spot but doesn't entirely look like lash material at first glance.

Actually there’s a little hard part. Like chicken meat.
Read this:
What is A Lash Egg? All You Need To Know & More

What is A Lash Egg? All You Need To Know & More

In the course of raising chickens for the first time, many backyard chicken farmers come across a variety of egg abnormalities. Eggs that are rubbery, yolkless, and have blood spots are not a major concern are some of these. In your many years of chicken keeping, you may not have seen a lash...

I would guess that it's either lash material, or it's a large amount of tissue from the oviduct. I would keep a close eye on this bird, see if she continues to lay normally, watch for any more material that gets expelled, either in an egg or not. May find it on a droppings board.
Also if she stops laying watch for any abdominal bloat to develop. If it's just oviduct tissue it may never happen again. If it's lash material, it will likely get worse.

Cut it open and report back with What exactly you've been feeding your flock.
They are on Start and Grow. They also get some grass, Brussels sprouts, corn on the cob. The vegetables they get vary based on the garden. But they’ve had broccoli, peas, worms.

Attachments

• IMG_3084.jpeg
    IMG_3084.jpeg
    363.1 KB · Views: 6
They are on Start and Grow. They also get some grass, Brussels sprouts, corn on the cob. The vegetables they get vary based on the garden. But they’ve had broccoli, peas, worms.
I would get them on a layer crumble or pelleted feed and stop feeding all of this extra treats tomorrow.

Feeding all of these treats takes away from them getting a balanced diet.
A layer type crumble or pelleted feet would be a balanced diet.

Back
Top Bottom