Weird Thing.... It's cheaper to order more chickens than what u need then kill the extras on arrival

It's like a Moral test and I am sure 99% pass and I agree with all of u. I had a few beers and am bored waiting for my first chicks to arrive on April 6th. My 3 beer deep mind is getting deep since I barely drink anymore with kids now. ;) ignore me
Enjoy your new chicks, and your kids!, we have a bunch of both, loads of fun. :ya

I have room for 8 but I had to order 9 cuz I wanted to at least three different breeds and I need to order at least three minimum per breed. I have 35 square feet in the coop 7 by 5 and actually another five feet high if that makes a difference. So buy all my research on the forms all hens need 4 square feet at least. 9 would make it 3.8 square feet each and if they send me an extra it will make it 3.5 square feet each for 10 chickens. I have plenty of run space but I am feeling guilty going over my original plan of 8. Another minimum order situation.

I wanted Buckeyes the wife wanted Dominique and we also wanted golden laced W word ;).

I have half inch hardware cloth everywhere and even a half inch hardware cloth going to feet out on a skirt from the coop and the Run I have also put up a 5-foot fence in a 36 foot by 12 area to quote unquote free range them when I'm outside

Where was I going with this?

too much over thinking, I tend to do the same. You can always find someone who will take extras if you don't charge too much. Getting extras gives you more choices of which ones you like best.

I have room for 8 but I had to order 9 cuz I wanted to at least three different breeds and I need to order at least three minimum per breed. I have 35 square feet in the coop 7 by 5 and actually another five feet high if that makes a difference. So buy all my research on the forms all hens need 4 square feet at least. 9 would make it 3.8 square feet each and if they send me an extra it will make it 3.5 square feet each for 10 chickens. I have plenty of run space but I am feeling guilty going over my original plan of 8. Another minimum order situation.

I wanted Buckeyes the wife wanted Dominique and we also wanted golden laced W word ;).

I have half inch hardware cloth everywhere and even a half inch hardware cloth going to feet out on a skirt from the coop and the Run I have also put up a 5-foot fence in a 36 foot by 12 area to quote unquote free range them when I'm outside

Where was I going with this?
I wouldn't stress about the coops space nearly as much as the run space. All they do in the coop is sleep and lay eggs anyway.

The fewer chicks you order, the greater the risk the hatchery has to replace them if they arrive dead. More chicks=better survival rate, stay warmer. Why most hatcheries have min order restrictions, and most likely why hatcheries charge extra for small orders. They are taking a gamble by allowing it. The costumer either gets their money back or new chicks shipped, and the hatchery eats the cost not only of the chicks but of the shipping cost.

That makes so much sense to me now! Thanks!

The companies also have to make sure that there's a profit after buying the shipping materials, paying for their facilities and equipment (rent or property taxes, incubators, eggs, containment, bedding, feed, etc.), and labor (people to feed and care for the chicks, to pick and package them, to drop shipments off, plus benefits and insurance for those people). Allowing customers to buy only a few chicks without a fee would cause them to lose money on those orders when all is said and done. :)

Back
Top Bottom