Weird Thing.... It's cheaper to order more chickens than what u need then kill the extras on arrival

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Living_Legend, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Living_Legend

Living_Legend Songster

Jan 3, 2018
    Freeland, MD
    My Coop
    Just saying. There is a small order charge of $20 if ordered under 15 chicks... say you need 12, it would be cheaper to order 15 and kill 3 of them when they arrive than to order 12.

I didn't do this, I paid the $20 for a small order but to me that's weird to put that decision in people's head as an option.

2. AlleysChicks

AlleysChicks Enabler

Oct 10, 2016
    Southern Ohio
    Most people sell the extra chicks or keep them.

3. Living_Legend

Living_Legend Songster

Jan 3, 2018
    Freeland, MD
    My Coop
    I paid the fee. I don't have room for extras and going out of my way to sell the extras to others is not my thing.....

I just think the entire idea is weird

4. Beer can

Beer can Free Ranging

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    The fewer chicks you order, the greater the risk the hatchery has to replace them if they arrive dead. More chicks=better survival rate, stay warmer. Why most hatcheries have min order restrictions, and most likely why hatcheries charge extra for small orders. They are taking a gamble by allowing it. The costumer either gets their money back or new chicks shipped, and the hatchery eats the cost not only of the chicks but of the shipping cost.

5. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Professional Chicken Tender

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    I wouldn't think most people would see that as the option.
    It's easy to find homes for chicks I would of never thought of killing any extras.
    I've kept packing peanut males on a few occasions even.

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Some folks will split an order. Though who gets what chick can cause problems. Ain't no way I would kill healthy chicks on arrival just because I only wanted a certain number. They traveled too far to be culled just for an arbitrary number.

7. Living_Legend

Living_Legend Songster

Jan 3, 2018
    Freeland, MD
    My Coop
    It's like a Moral test and I am sure 99% pass and I agree with all of u. I had a few beers and am bored waiting for my first chicks to arrive on April 6th. My 3 beer deep mind is getting deep since I barely drink anymore with kids now. ;) ignore me

8. alexa009

alexa009 Crossing the Road

Apr 6, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    Normally that's how most hatcheries are. I have had ordered from hatcheries a couple times and they usually give you a couple more. The more chicks you order, the more extras. Whatever you want to do with your chicks is fine but I would recommend trying to sell them and see if they sell first.

9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    :jumpy

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  10. Beer can

Beer can Free Ranging

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    I once ordered extra I didn't really want just because of that extra shipping cost. DW figured it out, ordered a cheap mystery grab bag bunch, they were basically free with the difference in shipping. I could have gave them away and been out nothing. I was actually glad I did it, was neat. Had some breeds I would have never had otherwise.

LReardon and lazy gardener like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: