Weird Thing.... It's cheaper to order more chickens than what u need then kill the extras on arrival

The fewer chicks you order, the greater the risk the hatchery has to replace them if they arrive dead. More chicks=better survival rate, stay warmer. Why most hatcheries have min order restrictions, and most likely why hatcheries charge extra for small orders. They are taking a gamble by allowing it. The costumer either gets their money back or new chicks shipped, and the hatchery eats the cost not only of the chicks but of the shipping cost.

Some folks will split an order. Though who gets what chick can cause problems. Ain't no way I would kill healthy chicks on arrival just because I only wanted a certain number. They traveled too far to be culled just for an arbitrary number.

I once ordered extra I didn't really want just because of that extra shipping cost. DW figured it out, ordered a cheap mystery grab bag bunch, they were basically free with the difference in shipping. I could have gave them away and been out nothing. I was actually glad I did it, was neat. Had some breeds I would have never had otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom