Weird timing on egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicken+quail=luv, Jan 12, 2009.

1. chicken+quail=luv

chicken+quail=luv Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Strawberry fields.
    my hen lays eggs at night, and she just started laying about a month ago, and it is winter. is this unusual? [​IMG]

2. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    Mine lay at all times of the day and evening, up until they roost. Sometimes early, sometimes late and with a new layer it may take time for them to get it all straight!

Good luck! [​IMG]

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Are you sure she's laying at night and not right at daylight before you get out there? Mine will sometimes lay right before they hop on a roost but it's rare that chickens actually lay in the middle of the night. Once they are asleep on the roosts they don't get down until there's light again because chickens can't see in the dark. If they do lay the eggs would be smashed under the roosts from being dropped right there.

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    my turken hen has laid on the roost the past two nights. They roost on an eight foot by four foot wire roof of another pen, which is covered with various boards and plywood pieces to keep the poop off the other chickens. At least the eggs don't break when she lays at night... Hopefully her cycle will get back to normal and she will start using the nest boxes again.

5. lauraschickens

lauraschickens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2008
    Oregon
    I thought one of mine was laying early in the morning, but now I think she lays at night, I keep lots of extra straw under where she roosts so the eggs don't break. I only have 4 hens, so my coop is pretty small, really just a little closet to keep them safe and warm at night.

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Hi lauraschickens! Welcome to BYC!!! Where abouts are you? North or South?

7. lauraschickens

lauraschickens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2008
    Oregon
    North, half way between S.F. and Sacramento. I love it here at BYC lurked a long time before joining just becuse I enjoyed the messages so much. (learned alot too.)

8. Eastins Eggs

Eastins Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Ceresco Nebraska
    Sporadic laying times are normal. She will get into a better rhythm as she matures.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    When mine first started laying a couple of times someone layed while rooosting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by