1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

weird tiny broken egg - what could this mean?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dftkarin, Jan 28, 2009.

1. dftkarin

dftkarin Songster

Jun 27, 2008
    [​IMG]

I just collected 2 eggs from the nesting box and happened to find this tiny and broken egg stuck in a weird spot - maybe a chicken layed it while sitting on the roost and it rolled off the droppings board and into a weird crevice? (My 4 chickens just started laying this month but they've never layed an egg this small and only twice have I found eggs anywhere but in a nesting box - once on the droppings board and once in the middle of the coop). Should I worry? Its broken like maybe someone pecked it - but its not eaten. It was frozen when I found it. Any thoughts would be very appreciated!!!

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member 10 Years

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I've heard that sometimes a chicken will lay one of those eggs when she is "working up" to laying regularly. This doesn't happen with every chicken.

(Do a search on BYC for "fart egg"...seriously. There's a whole thread with that phrase in it that describes a similar situation. The funny name is how I remembered it).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: