Weird tiny egg

ChickenAddict92

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 14, 2012
Upstate NY
This was a little while ago but I've only been on this site a week or so.

Mid-August I saw one of my girls nosing (beaking?) around a little brown sphere-thing. I thought it was a mushroom so I took it away from her since some mushrooms are poisonous. I picked up this thing and realized that it was hard unlike a mushroom. I quickly figured out that this was a little tiny egg. Do any of you have any thoughts about this? I'm pretty sure that it was a chicken egg but not completely; I've only found one of these; and if it is a chicken egg, does it mean something bad or is it just an "accident egg"?

Here's some photos:

Last edited:
I was pretty sure that this little tiny weird egg wouldn't have a yolk yet it did. It wasn't a pretty yolk but it was clearly there.
lol.png
It was so weird looking!

My Sussex laid one that was barely bigger than a quarter. It was perfect other than being miniature -- tiny yolk proportionate to the shell size. I'm sure it's just a hiccup in the process.

I've had those a couple times from my laying hens...the girl I bought them from told me it happens when a hen tries to lay two eggs in one day although I've never researched it to see if that's the reason or not...

It was the only egg my Sussex laid the day she did this. I was presuming it was stress-related because it happened the day after a predator attack.

I've had those a couple times from my laying hens...the girl I bought them from told me it happens when a hen tries to lay two eggs in one day although I've never researched it to see if that's the reason or not...

Back
Top Bottom