Weird tiny egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenAddict92, Jan 19, 2012.

1. ChickenAddict92

ChickenAddict92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2012
    Upstate NY
    This was a little while ago but I've only been on this site a week or so.

Mid-August I saw one of my girls nosing (beaking?) around a little brown sphere-thing. I thought it was a mushroom so I took it away from her since some mushrooms are poisonous. I picked up this thing and realized that it was hard unlike a mushroom. I quickly figured out that this was a little tiny egg. Do any of you have any thoughts about this? I'm pretty sure that it was a chicken egg but not completely; I've only found one of these; and if it is a chicken egg, does it mean something bad or is it just an "accident egg"?

Here's some photos:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I have had a couple of small eggs over the years. I think that if it happens rarely it's not anything to worry about.

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

4. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
  5. ChickenAddict92

ChickenAddict92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2012
    Upstate NY
    I was pretty sure that this little tiny weird egg wouldn't have a yolk yet it did. It wasn't a pretty yolk but it was clearly there. [​IMG] It was so weird looking!

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    My Sussex laid one that was barely bigger than a quarter. It was perfect other than being miniature -- tiny yolk proportionate to the shell size. I'm sure it's just a hiccup in the process.

7. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    Poplar Bluff , MO
    i have seen those tiny eggs a few times it generally is either the first egg of the season or the last...nothing to worry about unless she continues laying them.

8. crenees

crenees Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2011
    I've had those a couple times from my laying hens...the girl I bought them from told me it happens when a hen tries to lay two eggs in one day although I've never researched it to see if that's the reason or not...

9. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    It was the only egg my Sussex laid the day she did this. I was presuming it was stress-related because it happened the day after a predator attack.

10. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Probably a fart egg. That usually is a chicken that is just starting to lay. Don't worry.

~AnnElise

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by