WEIRD, WEIRD hen

Shadowfire

Crowing
Aug 14, 2018
USA
My Coop
My Coop
Hi everyone. I had a bantam rosecomb hen that was really weird. She died almost a year ago, but I was just wondering what in the world could have caused her to act the way she did. Anyway, here's a background on Blackbird;
I got her (I know it's a hen because I saw her lay eggs and I have a video) from the neighbors who were moving and had to get rid of their chickens. She was housed with a shamo rooster and standard birds (I received 3 standard hens from them also). She actually had a single comb but had all the characteristics or a rosecomb. She had a baby bird I named Sweetie, a bantam rosecomb with the proper comb type. He was later attacked and killed by a hawk, who decapitated the poor thing and knocked off part of his skull. I got a trio of Pekins but their rooster (and several other birds) were attacked by an unidentified creature.
She then exhibited a weird behavior; trying to mate with other hens. She would mount the hen (this is the weirdest thing I have ever seen and I do NOT condone it) and then try to mate with it. She acted like a rooster, herding the hens, and even TRIED TO CROW by making a terrible honking and posing like a rooster with an arched neck. She took the place of the deceased rooster, which was freaky. What happened here?!!

Sometimes if there is no roo, a hen will assume the position. The only way to fix this is to get a rooster! I have a little Dutch Bantam that once tried to crow, even though I have a rooster. But she is kind of the crazy one (hatches is freezing weather, she’s a crazy mama) so... :gig

Back
Top Bottom