Weird yawning thing!

Oh by the way Newchickenmom&kids, thank you for the info. Yeah, this is what one of my books said as well. However, I am wondering if it would look very obvious to me. You know? I mean, if I looked in her throat would I actually KNOW what I am seeing? See that's the part that gets me. Grrr.

I also have to add that I never had chickens or ANY fowl on my land, so I wonder if it is even possible for me to have infected earthworms to begin with!

Ok, maybe I'm not asking the right questions here.

IF I used a regular wormer on ALL my chickens, would that actually rid the chickens of gapeworms on the off chance they actually had them?

Am I being hysterical? Is this a radical step? And which wormer would work best for that specifically if I WAS going to do that?

I'm imagining I can to my feestore for the wormer correct? I know I can get certain wormers...but are ALL wormers the same? I don't need a vet prescription, right?

Boy, reading back I sound like a nut job...what a ninny I am...but I REALLY hate it if I feel like any of my animals aren't well...and I feel like such a novice with these guys. AND they are so little still. :|

Last edited:
Can you compare her throat to another chicken's throat?? I know what you mean about Santa and the reindeer... Who knows what a chicken throat looks like!
idunno.gif

At any rate, I hope you find the cause and she feels better!

That's a good idea, CarriBrown! I don't know why I didn't think of that. It's pretty logical. Hmmm. I'll try it anyhow, who knows... it sure is better then nothing.
smile.png

This may be silly... but are you sure it's a she? One of my little boys keeps trying to crow and is only occasionally successful. However, when he's trying, sometimes it looks like he's yawning. (I hope it's not gapeworm!)

I too have the same problem. I have my large americauna that does it every evening, so I am guessing she is just sleepy at that time. If I keep her awake too long, then she starts crying.

Another prob is, that she eats EVERYTHING she finds, when I let her out. Well, I noticed since their plumage is coming in, she keeps eating those lil tiny baby furr feathers. I DID warn her! lol After she eats a feather, she does the same thing, but I reckon its a lot like having a hair in your mouth or throat! Crazy chicken.

Your prob may be entirely different, at first I thought the same with mine and rushed on here with questions. The only reason I know mine isnt something to worry about tho, is that she is in the house and I can keep a close eye on her and what she eats, and was REALLY paying attention, so if she was in the yard, I would be nuts. It still worries me to death.

I have read Fenbendazole is the wormer of choice for the gapeworm, but I could never find dosage amounts or anything. It made me crazy, and I spent hours trying to figure out how to help her.

Just wanted to share my experience, I am sure no expert as I just started this venture. I may yet have to "look down her throat". This sounds like a daunting task! lol

It certainly does sound like a daunting task. I sure hope I don't run into this problem any time soon. I don't know if I coulc actually get a look down there. Do you need a flashlight for that?

Yeah you do Freebie ...otherwise you REALLY can't see in there!
Well, she doesn't seem to be doing it this morning. So maybe your right, thndrdancr . I hope so!
smile.png

Llysse, I really, really hope not! She is one of my favorites and I can't having roosters.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom