Weirdness with waterglassed eggs??

TheGuruOfNothing

Hatching
Jun 10, 2023
I am new to the whole waterglassing thing, though not new to the raising of chickens thing. We sold our flock and moved to a new rural area and have been buying local chicken and duck eggs to support the youngsters who are selling them for side money. We started waterglassing the chicken eggs end of last year and are now about 4 dozen into the collection. Does anyone know if the weak yoke is from the chickens or is it from the waterglassing? I have about 1 in 4 that the yoke breaks immediately upon cracking the shell and 1 in 4 that the yoke membrane is tougher than I have ever experienced in a chicken egg. We used to feed our chickens high quality feed and we had really consistent eggs but we never waterglassed them so I have no frame of reference. I don't want to use the thin yolk eggs if it is something that the waterglassing is causing. I have had a couple that smelled wrong so decided it was time to question my results. I am using 8oz to a quart of the slaked lime, keeping them in a very cool and mostly dark location in my root cellar and these eggs have been in solution for approx 8 months.

I am not an expert on water-glassing eggs, but have read much on the subject. I also followed a few threads on that subject.
In general,, The egg yolks do get somewhat weaker in time of water-glassing. Most peeps use their eggs as scrambled, or use in cooking, and baking. Many also cycle their eggs, and use the older ones, while storing the fresh ones. This way they do not end up with many old eggs. Just a note; from reading threads,, some peeps kept their eggs for one year, and eggs were still good.

I have a question. About this sentence.
I am using 8oz to a quart of the slaked lime,
I am slightly confused by this. Everyone that I knew, used hydrated pickling lime to do their eggs. So I'm not sure your method is the right way to do this. It may, be, but need more explanation.:idunno
Well,,, let me add this link to one thread with much good information.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/water-glassing-egg-preservation-experiment.1428588/

Link below is one of the last postings, ,,, and person kept eggs for one year, all good, except when trying to hard boil the eggs. Different peeps may have different results.. that thread is good reading :thumbsup
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...preservation-experiment.1428588/post-26897441

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

Yeah, the sentence I am using 8 oz to a quart of slaked lime was erroneous. What I meant was, I used 1 oz of hydrated lime (pickling lime) to a quart of water. I used 8 total in 2 gallons... not per quart. Slaked lime is used in masonry and I do that as a career so it was a slip of the tongue. Kinda makes more sense if i say it correctly.
The info is good to know. I do rotate my eggs and I put them up every 90 days for a year to make sure that I won't have them any more than about 9 months old. I even went overboard and tracked my usage for a year priot to get the basic 90 day rotation numbers! Overachievement. As long as thinner yolks is not a problem, I am golden. Thank you

I am not an expert on water-glassing eggs, but have read much on the subject. I also followed a few threads on that subject.
In general,, The egg yolks do get somewhat weaker in time of water-glassing. Most peeps use their eggs as scrambled, or use in cooking, and baking. Many also cycle their eggs, and use the older ones, while storing the fresh ones. This way they do not end up with many old eggs. Just a note; from reading threads,, some peeps kept their eggs for one year, and eggs were still good.

I have a question. About this sentence.
I am using 8oz to a quart of the slaked lime,
I am slightly confused by this. Everyone that I knew, used hydrated pickling lime to do their eggs. So I'm not sure your method is the right way to do this. It may, be, but need more explanation.:idunno
Well,,, let me add this link to one thread with much good information.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/water-glassing-egg-preservation-experiment.1428588/

Link below is one of the last postings, ,,, and person kept eggs for one year, all good, except when trying to hard boil the eggs. Different peeps may have different results.. that thread is good reading :thumbsup
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...preservation-experiment.1428588/post-26897441

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome
I just used the last of my spring 2022 glasses eggs, They are best used scrambled or for baking but not one went bad.

All the yolks break on my waterglassed eggs. I use them for baking or scrambled eggs.

I just made bread yesterday with 3 eggs. I tried my very best to crack them open gently. One broke after the yolk was in the bowl. I thought I had one with an intact yolk... then it split open. :idunno

Back
Top Bottom