Did I ruin my jars of eggs by waterglassing incorrectly?

mydaisy

Songster
May 9, 2022
Oklahoma is OK!
My girls are laying quite well this time of year and so I am waterglassing eggs for the winter, etc. However, I think I messed up by adding 1 oz pickling lime to 1 gallon of water instead of 1 oz pickling lime to 1 quart of water. It was about 2 months ago. Did I ruin the eggs? It was around 8 dozen in a couple of containers - I would hate to lose them.

I know I could probably check the eggs to see if they are good or bad, but I want to hear from experienced waterglassers or someone who can explain the science behind the ratio they use....

The ratio I followed had too much lime - way too much lime. I diluted it until it had only some lime settled out after shaking it. The eggs were still edible at least four months although the texture suffered. At six months, I ate three and didn't get sick but the texture was pretty disgusting. On the other hand, I think raw eggs left at room temperature can stay edible that long just setting on the counter - as long as the bloom is not washed or wiped off. They also lose texture long before they are inedible.

Possibly they could still be used in baking but I wasn't baking much so I used the rest to feed the tomatoes (one egg among the roots of each tomato transplant.

At this point, I can't remember why I thought the brine needs only be saturated; anything that settles out doesn't do anything. Since I can't remember where (or whether) I read it, I don't know how trustworthy the info is.

Thank you! That is very helpful to know your first-hand experience with it.
I feel like if an egg is bad - you’re going to know it’s bad right away, so I’ll proceed with caution and next time will read instructions better.

Back
Top Bottom