• Total voters

The Angry Hen

Crossing the Road
6 Years
Dec 17, 2016
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Hello everybody! Okay, if you haven't seen me around, which I bet you have, my name is Kaitlyn. You may call me The Angry Hen or what you'd like. Anyhow, I made this thread for a reason.

Woo! Spring is coming even though Maine got one and a 1/2 feet of snow the other day (Maine can't be spring-predicted by the snow though. I mostly tell by the birds and tend to think Spring is coming) and what does Spring mean... baby chicks!

I absolutely love baby chicks. Their little chirping and how you get to raise them your very own way. It's always fun! But I'd like to tell you a story. You ready?

I walk outside and sit in a chair, watching the birds sing and fly around peacefully as the day passes by - time skip because I ramble - I get up and go to the chicken coop to collect eggs and I find a broody hen! Well, that's not the issue. Apparently she's been broody and I haven't known for a few days. She has (approximately) 13 eggs under her. Although I love baby chicks, we're in no shape or form for having any. Not enough room, no quarantine, not the correct feed and just not the right setup! Period. But the thing is... a few of these eggs may be alive. I candled them and two embryos were breathing meanwhile a few others were further developed than an embryo. (Please note that I am NOT sure which are alive or aren't).

I am not a newbie and I've been in the game for quite awhile... but I never stop learning! (It's impossible to STOP learning). And I am pretty darn confused. Here's my doable options:

• SHOULD I HATCH THESE EGGS?
This is really a tricky thing to decide on. My Father says "Let them be and see what happens" but I need to figure out ahead of time. I don't like planning but I DO need a backup. What do you think?
  • SHOULD I GIVE THESE EGGS AWAY?
This is a very good possibility! If I find someone whom wants eggs, who will take the risk of them not being fertile, and whom will even consider offering let alone the other choices.
  • SHOULD I LEAVE THEM BE?
This is always a possibility but I am not pro it. Another hen is bothering the broody so the (not jumping to conclusions) chicks are bound to get hurt. If I let them be, I'd worry less, yes, but I wouldn't be happy if something terrible happened.
  • SHOULD I TRASH THEM?
To me, this is disgraceful. It's one thing if they're sick and will risk the flock, which they aren't. It's one thing if they came from mean birds that I don't like, which they didn't. And it's one thing if they're all dead and have no chance. Which is wrong.

So the main question to this thread is; what's you suggestion?

I am not panicking or going through terrible anxiety from this... but I do want to figure things out. I thank you in advance for any help offered, but I hope I'm not doing wrong. By the way, if you are new to the chicken raising experience... never give up. I hope that this thread helps you as well as me and that you never give up when in a tough situation. All chicken keepers go through situations when raising chicks. But this is fixable. God bless on your mission!

Have a great evening everybody. I understand if you think I'm crazy.

Best regards,
-Angry Hen

P.S.

Please vote on the poll above with your honest opinion. If you have not read this thread, vote that you have not read this thread. (Well, if you have not read this thread, how are you reading this?)

If I were you and I knew I didn't want chicks I would take the eggs away and get rid of them.
What? I am being honest.

I'd also like to say that I like the way your dad thinks...I might just leave them be and see what happens.

I hope you figure to what you want to do and good luck with making a decision.
:hugs

Hello Kiki, I apologize for the late reply! I cannot say how much I appreciate your helpfulness! :hugs I let everything fall into place (gee I'm patient for once), just put a barrier around the hen so nobody can hurt the babies and two beautiful Faverolle mix chicks had hatched! The breed I was hoping for! God works in amazing ways and just giving me those two bundles of fluff shows me just how much more I appreciate life's mysteries!

What ended up happening here?
Hello Kiki, I apologize for the late reply! I cannot say how much I appreciate your helpfulness! :hugs I let everything fall into place (gee I'm patient for once), just put a barrier around the hen so nobody can hurt the babies and two beautiful Faverolle mix chicks had hatched! The breed I was hoping for! God works in amazing ways and just giving me those two bundles of fluff shows me just how much more I appreciate life's mysteries!
AWESOME!
Congrats.

Looks like we posted at the dame time...LOL.

These chicks are the fastest little things I've ever darn seen! So, as much as I would have liked to get more than two photos, the little things are too skeptical of me. I was very happy to receive these photos but once I befriend them some more, I'll certainly grow fast enough for them. :lol:

Two-Little-Chooks.jpg
Sassy-Much.PNG

Back
Top Bottom