Welcome to crazyland...

thatlaidyb

Chirping
10 Years
Jun 30, 2012
McDonough, GA
Some people have all of the luck... I have always wanted a daughter but all I have are sons ages 4, 2, and 1 year old twins. And I got pregnant again... I'm 26 weeks along with you guessed it another little boy. But luckily I have the most adorable nieces so I'm happy.
A few months ago the hubby and I sat down and tried to figure out why I was constantly buying eggs... Well it turned out that we were eating about 5 to 7 dozen every couple of weeks. So we decided that getting some chickens would be a great idea. There are two problems: 1. I have no idea how to take care of chickens and 2. I'm afraid of chickens (bad experience when I was in the first grade)... So, in about two weeks I am going to temporarily move across to stay with my mom for the rest of my pregnancy so that I can learn about and hopefully conquer my fear of chickens. The great thing about this arrangement is that when I go home in the spring my mom might let me take some of her cuckoo marans with me!
fl.gif

My 4 year old Nicky

1 year old twins Shawn and Gio

And 2 year old Tyler

The GrandMONSTERS!
You can probably take a couple of the Wellie girls too. They should be laying by then.

welcome-byc.gif

Wow! You have your hands full! They are adorable boys!
Chickens are very easy to care for. Just sit quietly in a chair and watch them and you will soon be over your fear.
big_smile.png

Good Luck!
Thank you!!!!
welcome-byc.gif

Wow! You have your hands full! They are adorable boys!
Chickens are very easy to care for. Just sit quietly in a chair and watch them and you will soon be over your fear.
big_smile.png
Thank you! I think they are cuter when they are sleeping these days.
wink.png
I hope this works because the thought of being around chickens gives me the absolute willies. My mom has some that are just a few weeks old so I'm hoping that they are not too big.

Well, the boys and I finally made it home and we have some stow aways!!!! My mother gave me a cuckoo marans rooster, a welsummer rooster, five welsummer hens, two dominique hens, a cuckoo marans hen and a barred rock pullet.
celebrate.gif
I was so excited when we got home and introduced them to their new home. Everyone seems to be getting used to their surroundings and then over the last couple of days I lost my cuckoo marans rooster and my barred rock pullet.
somad.gif
I think that it was an eagle that got them because I saw a big brown bird fly off when I discovered the pullets body and I have been hearing an eagle since I got home. I'm just going see this as my opportunity to get some guineas and some black copper marans... And now I'm off to research how to protect my birds from eagles.
caf.gif

Oh, and yes I'm still afraid of chickens. That welsummer rooster was forever trying to attack me at my mom's place. That's why I brought him home with me... We have a score to settle! lol But really I thought that he would be a good guard rooster. I will get a closer shot of them and post it in the next day or two.

Here they are! And there he is... For some reason they like to roost on their bucket feeder. I guess that I'm going to clean it when it empties...
sickbyc.gif
Unless I can get the DH to do it for me before hand. I'm so excited to have them and the DH said that he's aright with me getting more so long as I stay under 25... And since he's eating the eggs as fast as my girls can lay them (he's a body builder) I'm going to need more and soon. Hopefully I won't have to purchase extra eggs. Hmmmm, I wonder if that number includes the guineas I plan on getting...

Not sure if it's something you'd share, but may I ask why you're afraid of chickens? Seems like a fear no member of BYC would have haha XD.

I honestly don't know why I'm afraid of them. I've been afraid of them for years though and it's not just chickens its all birds. But I don't let it stop me, though, I plan on getting more chickens and some guineas also.

Back
Top Bottom