Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

I had a girl friend in high school that had a pet rat. It was pretty cool. . the only thing you had to watch out for is I guess they can't see very well so they use their keen sense of smell to look for food. You had to Be very careful to not have food smells on your hands when handling it or it might just think your finger is food :hmm
No idea if this true for ALL domestic rats.
She had to get rid of hers after she had been gone for a couple of weeks and when she came back the thing was wild and tried to attack every time you put your hand in there :(
I don't know if her parents didn't feed it while she was away or what happened, maybe it got sick. . but that thing went psycho and never recovered.
I will let Charity know...she tends to go to her friends for long periods in the summer so she may have to rethink that....;)

Thank you both! I really appreciate it!
The ones she found are not quite a yr old and handled daily. They are at a shop that is small and well run. Great people own it and run it so I feel comfortable purchasing from them.
Oh and not to try and scare you but the rats my daughter got are now psycho as well. She left them with someone for a couple months when she moved home for that short time.. And got them back when she left for Kentucky. Now she says she can't handle them at all. So I wonder if not being handled for a period of time could play a part? No clue. I think rats are pretty intelligent creatures though and could very well make a fun pet to have.

Oh and not to try and scare you but the rats my daughter got are now psycho as well. She left them with someone for a couple months when she moved home for that short time.. And got them back when she left for Kentucky. Now she says she can't handle them at all. So I wonder if not being handled for a period of time could play a part? No clue. I think rats are pretty intelligent creatures though and could very well make a fun pet to have.
Thanks...her friend has one too so she's been talking about being able to take it with her when she goes over there. I'm not sure if they do well going back and forth so have to check into that.

Thanks...her friend has one too so she's been talking about being able to take it with her when she goes over there. I'm not sure if they do well going back and forth so have to check into that.
Maybe the shop owners could tell you more about having them as pets and what causes them to lose their minds and become vicious. . I wouldn't think a rat would be too picky about their environment as long as they got fed lol.

Maybe the shop owners could tell you more about having them as pets and what causes them to lose their minds and become vicious. . I wouldn't think a rat would be too picky about their environment as long as they got fed lol.
Yeah, I will talk to them when we go look. Probably going Friday. I would think so too. And she has a carrier she can use for it so it will have it's own familiar home away from home.

Back
Top Bottom