Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

Good Evening, Pond!
I’ve been lurking, just haven’t posted in a while. Busy with grandkids, gardens and chickens, mostly.

Grandkids and their parents close on their new home this coming Friday, so things will be changing here soon. I will admit to having mixed feelings about that.

I’ve had some subtractions to my flock this week. Last weekend, one of the two baby chicks disappeared. I’m guessing it got nabbed by something. Thursday night, mama hen and chick were not in the coop at lockup. Friday morning, chick was alone outside the coop when DH let the rest of the hens in. No mama to be found anywhere. Saturday I found a dead hen in the coop. Looked like she just fell off the roost.

I caught the chick and put it in a pen. It was frantically trying to get out. I asked around and posted on FB looking for a couple of friends for it, but had no luck. Saturday I put one of my 8-week old pullets in with it. Not expecting her to adopt or mother it, just hoping she could be a companion. The chick calmed down immediately and attached itself to her. The pullet showed no interest in the chick, but didn’t show any aggression, either. That chick is right on her heels, imitating everything she does like an annoying little sibling. Pullet tolerates it. When she lays down, the chick snuggles up to her. When she eats or drinks, so does the chick. When she roosts, chick roosts. When she preens, chick preens. It’s cute. I’m hoping I can let them out with the rest of the flock in a couple of weeks when the chick is more able to fend for itself.

A3EF704E-D5C3-4C4F-B7C3-B0F629220853.jpeg

CD911C10-42D6-4759-B39C-C1C46636C5B1.jpeg

Attachments

• ABCD4E17-6C52-4F86-B370-38D4FA58A601.jpeg
    ABCD4E17-6C52-4F86-B370-38D4FA58A601.jpeg
    128.9 KB · Views: 0
Good Evening, Pond!
I’ve been lurking, just haven’t posted in a while. Busy with grandkids, gardens and chickens, mostly.

Grandkids and their parents close on their new home this coming Friday, so things will be changing here soon. I will admit to having mixed feelings about that.

I’ve had some subtractions to my flock this week. Last weekend, one of the two baby chicks disappeared. I’m guessing it got nabbed by something. Thursday night, mama hen and chick were not in the coop at lockup. Friday morning, chick was alone outside the coop when DH let the rest of the hens in. No mama to be found anywhere. Saturday I found a dead hen in the coop. Looked like she just fell off the roost.

I caught the chick and put it in a pen. It was frantically trying to get out. I asked around and posted on FB looking for a couple of friends for it, but had no luck. Saturday I put one of my 8-week old pullets in with it. Not expecting her to adopt or mother it, just hoping she could be a companion. The chick calmed down immediately and attached itself to her. The pullet showed no interest in the chick, but didn’t show any aggression, either. That chick is right on her heels, imitating everything she does like an annoying little sibling. Pullet tolerates it. When she lays down, the chick snuggles up to her. When she eats or drinks, so does the chick. When she roosts, chick roosts. When she preens, chick preens. It’s cute. I’m hoping I can let them out with the rest of the flock in a couple of weeks when the chick is more able to fend for itself.

View attachment 2229062
View attachment 2229065
This kind of stuff breaks my heart. It looks like it will have a happy ending though. 🤞🤞

Good Evening, Pond!

View attachment 2229062
View attachment 2229065
Very cute photos

Back
Top Bottom