Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

Hey pond! Long time no talk! It's been a couple of years. I had to move on from a good bit of my homestead life because I have been so busy, but I'm starting back again! I'm going to start with quail. I'm getting my quail coop Thursday and my quail on Friday. They are 6 week old japanese quail. I've done a lot of research, but for some of y'all who have more experience, what's some super important notes that I should keep in mind? Thank you!
Layer feed is fine. Quail aren’t known to return to their pen, but I think it’s more because they get eaten. Mine usually stuck around the pen, or at least hung out with the chickens. Quail egg scissors are handy, eggs are great for pickling, three make a chicken egg, and your dd will love eggs in her size.

Good morning from my lily pad.
Hey pond! Long time no talk! It's been a couple of years. I had to move on from a good bit of my homestead life because I have been so busy, but I'm starting back again! I'm going to start with quail. I'm getting my quail coop Thursday and my quail on Friday. They are 6 week old japanese quail. I've done a lot of research, but for some of y'all who have more experience, what's some super important notes that I should keep in mind? Thank you!
Welcome back, and good luck with the establishment of your new flock.

Layer feed is fine. Quail aren’t known to return to their pen, but I think it’s more because they get eaten. Mine usually stuck around the pen, or at least hung out with the chickens. Quail egg scissors are handy, eggs are great for pickling, three make a chicken egg, and your dd will love eggs in her size.
Ok good to know! Just the regular chicken laying cables, correct? And yes, I know she'll definitely love them! Earlier this year my parents got some chicks and it was all she could do not to squeeze the life out of them, that's how much she loved them. We're working on that 😅. But yeah, my plan is to not allow them to leave their pen, and just occasionally add branches, leaves, straw, a dust bath to give them some entertainment.

Ok good to know! Just the regular chicken laying cables, correct? And yes, I know she'll definitely love them! Earlier this year my parents got some chicks and it was all she could do not to squeeze the life out of them, that's how much she loved them. We're working on that 😅. But yeah, my plan is to not allow them to leave their pen, and just occasionally add branches, leaves, straw, a dust bath to give them some entertainment.
Yes, regular chicken feed. While crumbles are popular, they can technically eat pellets. It’s good to know if the feed store is out of crumbles.

Good to know! I wasn't sure about that because sometimes the pellets can be a little large. Thank you!
Welcome back! When I was feeding Bantams, I’d put a couple of handfuls of feed in a ziplock bag, pound the pellets or large crumbles down a bit, then feed it. Of course, I only had to do that for their first week…after that they managed pretty well. Not quail, I know, but same principle should apply.

What did you feed them if you don't mind me asking? What I've been reading is either literal dove/quail feed or 18%-20% protein game bird feed. And thank you! It's great to be back!
Anything in that protein range is great for quail. I think 22% max.

The big thing with quail is if they get loose it is close to impossible to get them back.

Good to know! I wasn't sure about that because sometimes the pellets can be a little large. Thank you!
We had to grind the crumbles for the first 2 weeks... the crumbles were too big.

I think you would have growth issues if you fed them chicken feed... but then my all flock is only 16%. Some layer feed is 18 or 20.

I never even tried feeding them pellets.

We used to have coturnix quail.

Back
Top Bottom