Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

The idea of stripey melons sounds more appealing, whichever way I think about the subject :)

Just processed 3 cockerels and then found a snake as I was putting things away. Almost stepped on it, and if course, I'm wearing flip flops. Had to figure out how to keep it from going into the warehouse and then decide if I should kill it or not. Luckily there was a trenching shovel nearby so I prodded it back out the door. I'm thinking triangle head, coiling and striking, maybe it's a baby rattler. But it had a funny nose and no rattles, and I'm a pacifist at heart (coming from a long line of Quakers) so I scooped it up with the shovel and flicked it into the neighbor's field.

Google told me it was a Western Hognosed snake, so I'm glad I didn't kill it.

Now I need to get some real work done!

In Africa, the only good snake is a dead one :rolleyes: but at least it's now your neighbour's issue, for the time being ;)

Just processed 3 cockerels and then found a snake as I was putting things away. Almost stepped on it, and if course, I'm wearing flip flops. Had to figure out how to keep it from going into the warehouse and then decide if I should kill it or not. Luckily there was a trenching shovel nearby so I prodded it back out the door. I'm thinking triangle head, coiling and striking, maybe it's a baby rattler. But it had a funny nose and no rattles, and I'm a pacifist at heart (coming from a long line of Quakers) so I scooped it up with the shovel and flicked it into the neighbor's field.

Google told me it was a Western Hognosed snake, so I'm glad I didn't kill it.

Now I need to get some real work done!

Awwww!!! Way to go, Friday! :highfive:

Rule of thumb, when they coil up and the body looks super fat with a skinny tail end they are usually good ones... and tons of them pretend they have a rattle, defence mechanism, lol...

Last edited:
I'm pretty confident in recognizing a gopher snake or bull snake, but this one threw me off especially when it flattened its head.

(I didn't throw it far, it's probably back in my yard already. :gig)

wee.gif

Eggs arrived! Resting until I check air cells this evening when it gets darker.
Both boxes were pristine, no eggs broken! Hopefully they fared as well as they look.
@RavynFallen awesome pack job!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom