Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

I think 10 days in and out symptoms... you are probably fine. Nice to hear.

Great fireplace.
Thanks! Just got it last year. I have always worried about an alternative heat source in case the electricity were to go out in the winter. The clincher was a power outage a couple of years ago when it was -27 outside. (That, and I’ve always wanted a fireplace. I finally saved up enough to get one.) It’s gas, remote start with battery backup.

Do not have to cut or stack wood by yourself either then.
I have always prefered wood heat but would not be able to harvest or cut if I was alone :idunno
I would love a wood fireplace, or wood stove, but after losing one home to a fire, that was not in the plans when we rebuilt. It took 16 years to talk him into a gas fireplace.

Yeah... the environmental waste on the Keurig bugs me... French presses are fantastic.. hard to break too, especially since the one we own now is all metal.
The pods I buy are compostable. They must be that potato ‘plastic’ or whatever. I’ve still been buying them even without the keurig because of the lack of traditional plastic. I should actually look to see if this company (SF Bay) has a ground that’s maybe in a paper bag.

I’m sorry. :hugs That’s an unimaginable nightmare. Do you know how it happened?
The fire inspector figured it started from a power strip. Apparently they (the cheaper ones especially) can short out, overheat and ignite. He said that is was similar to pouring gas on the carpet and throwing a match on it.
Terrifying as it was that night, we were blessed. All the people got out, despite the fire starting in the middle of the night and all of us sleeping upstairs. (Two sons down the stairs and out the door, DH lowered DS 3 and me out a window, then bailed out himself.) We had such an outpouring of support from our community and strangers, it was overwhelming. We got a nice new house that we built ourselves, and it was a place where our sons and their friends all hung out on weekends. I never had to worry about where they were, who they were with or what they were doing.

The fire inspector figured it started from a power strip. Apparently they (the cheaper ones especially) can short out, overheat and ignite. He said that is was similar to pouring gas on the carpet and throwing a match on it.
Terrifying as it was that night, we were blessed. All the people got out, despite the fire starting in the middle of the night and all of us sleeping upstairs. (Two sons down the stairs and out the door, DH lowered DS 3 and me out a window, then bailed out himself.) We had such an outpouring of support from our community and strangers, it was overwhelming. We got a nice new house that we built ourselves, and it was a place where our sons and their friends all hung out on weekends. I never had to worry about where they were, who they were with or what they were doing.
That is just plain terrifying! I’m so glad it wasn’t worse!

My cousins apartment building burnt down last year. Apparently the guy next door thought he had put his smoke out, but hadn’t. They were woken up in the middle of the night by neighbors banging on their door with the blaze right behind them. No time to grab anything but the kids. They were all safe thank God, but she said it was the craziest thing in the world to walk into Walmart at 4am, barefoot, in their pj’s, covered in soot to buy everybody a pair of shoes & a change of clothes. It still makes me well up when I think about it. In addition to being extremely lucky, she was able to plead with a firemen a day or two later to let her go in briefly to see if they could salvage anything. She was somehow able to find her wedding ring which had also been her moms wedding ring who had passed away about a decade ago. Lucky & blessed!

That is just plain terrifying! I’m so glad it wasn’t worse!

My cousins apartment building burnt down last year. Apparently the guy next door thought he had put his smoke out, but hadn’t. They were woken up in the middle of the night by neighbors banging on their door with the blaze right behind them. No time to grab anything but the kids. They were all safe thank God, but she said it was the craziest thing in the world to walk into Walmart at 4am, barefoot, in their pj’s, covered in soot to buy everybody a pair of shoes & a change of clothes. It still makes me well up when I think about it. In addition to being extremely lucky, she was able to plead with a firemen a day or two later to let her go in briefly to see if they could salvage anything. She was somehow able to find her wedding ring which had also been her moms wedding ring who had passed away about a decade ago. Lucky & blessed!
We live 20 miles from town, and it took the fire department 24 minutes to get here (impressive, actually, since it was after midnight when we called it in). The house was pretty much engulfed when they got here. The chief told DH, “We can’t save the house, but we’ll keep it out of the grove.”

Wow the nightmare that is fire I have never personaly been touched by it. Thank the stars that all are safe something as simple as a power strip .. I have always thought to remove all after a year replace them clean the stove chimney 1 a year :idunno

Back
Top Bottom