Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

Hey pond! Long time no talk! It's been a couple of years. I had to move on from a good bit of my homestead life because I have been so busy, but I'm starting back again! I'm going to start with quail. I'm getting my quail coop Thursday and my quail on Friday. They are 6 week old japanese quail. I've done a lot of research, but for some of y'all who have more experience, what's some super important notes that I should keep in mind? Thank you!
I feed mine a 28% game bird starter. I rarely have problems with shells so I guess they're getting enough calcium. Some people I've talked to do a 20 or 18% for their layers but mine do better on the higher protein.

This dude here is gonna be freaking awesome! Beautiful and big, he's Nearly twice the size of his hatch mates. I may decide to put him over some CX hens if they make it to maturity
IMG20220525210456.jpg
IMG20220525210502.jpg
IMG20220525210510.jpg

Anything in that protein range is great for quail. I think 22% max.

The big thing with quail is if they get loose it is close to impossible to get them back.

We had to grind the crumbles for the first 2 weeks... the crumbles were too big.

I think you would have growth issues if you fed them chicken feed... but then my all flock is only 16%. Some layer feed is 18 or 20.

I never even tried feeding them pellets.

We used to have coturnix quail.
Thank you for your insight! I really appreciate it! Most things I have read say game bird feed is better and some say just laying. I guess it's really something I'm going to have to experiment with lol! And yeah, I already told my husband that if one gets out, I'm not chasing it 🤣

Any sign of him today? Is it possible he could’ve been stolen? Do you have cams set up?

Tomorrow is the end of the Spring semester here. How much longer do you have?
He's definitely gone. No trace. Alien abduction???

We are out June 3 - this is the last full week of classes. Next week we have 2 field trips and the last 2 days are half days - limited academic minutes. It's funny that this year I have not been counting down or really eager for school to end.... Strange.

Hey Pond,

Hope all is well with you. It's hot here now... which is normal.

I have a couple 'leads' on getting the show produced. And, I am directing a theatre boot camp production of "Singin' In the Rain" this summer. So. No real "summer vacation". But that's okay.

My rooster is just plain gone. No ideas. No feathers. No carcass. Nothing.:confused:

I traded one of my OE cockerels for a latte yesterday. Pretty fair trade. 😊

I hope you all have a wonderful end of week and Memorial Day weekend.

Blessings,
Orr

Back
Top Bottom