Welcome to the Duck Disco House

The disco duck house is moving right along. Granted very slowly. The last progress that was made was putting front plywood on. This was tricky.

So it took four 4.5 foot boards to do. We set the lower boards secured them with screws then I used a sawsall to cut the door out so that it was as flush as I could get it with the frame. Again likely not the easiest way to do it but worked with what I had avialible to work with. Then we took the top pieces and had to cut off corners until we had a simi curved form that wasn't an extreme space.

The wind and rain will come from this direction and I wanted that side to have some ventalation but nothing as big as the back side by a long shot. So it was a lot of cuts to get a curved form. Then we pressed it hard against the wire frame of the roof and secured it in place with 2 1/2 screws. Again I cut the door out with the sawsall to get the door size right. In the end we ended up with a 28" by 5 1/5' door. Not as big as it could have gone but it should be big enough to work with over all.

IMG_0817.JPG

So we got to have two nice days here. Granted today wasn’t one of them. But we got to work on the disco duck house. Which I am now happy to say has a roof and hardware cloth cover on the openings at the top.

Working the tarp over the top took a bit of work. It might have been easier with a taller person than me trying to wield it but we made it work.
First we worked it over and the. In slow measured amounts made sure it didn’t find anything sharp or pokey on its way across the roof. Once it was over we evened it up on the sides. Sadly the plan of it being long enough to go over the OSB board all the way to the ground didn’t work out.

So we stapled it into place for the moment so the wind couldn’t blow it away. How did we finish up the rounded edge with the over hang. We folded it around and stapled it in place much like one would do an odd shaped Christmas present. It’s not super pretty but it looks like it will work.

Next thing to worry about is securing the edges of the tarp so that the wind doesn’t catch it and blow it away, or tarp it up. Staples were clearly not going to be the tool for the job. So looking around we didn’t have any big boards that would fit the 32 inch space from the ground to where the tarp stopped. Plus it would have looked a little silly to just put a random boar in the middle of the wall on the outside.

We did have however about 8 of these very long boards that had at onepoint been used as the garden beds that I cut up. So we grabbed a bunch of them and cut them to size and layered them up the wall until it covered the tarp edge securely. It took three of these re-used boards to get the height we needed.

E45E8212-2734-4DAF-9E30-E5CB0F30466B.jpeg E1406C8C-1649-461D-9FA0-50CF3DACB767.jpeg

We still have to secure the front and back with 1x4 framing around the edge but over all it does look planned even through, it was all done as an oh crap mistake.

D2323F50-9833-4B4F-BA78-3AD43E342D2D.jpeg

The next project on the duck house was getting the walls closed in. But before that could happen we had to get the floor done.

with just the pallets and one OSB board the floor felt very wobbly. That meant if it got wet I was likely falling through. Not a good plan.

There was a book shelf that had been torn a part about two months ago due to it being way to big an heavy for where I live. We took that and laid the one by 8 boards down and secured them. Sadly moisture made them bow a bit. So another lair of OSB board was put down to seal up any cracks and make it more even for the final flooring going down.

F9CE8156-BC24-4A51-B402-B71369081E6B.jpeg 6232FD5A-1149-4193-B813-2FE1EA00A6FF.jpeg E7700FE5-C5DE-46BA-B983-7CD542E0AF76.jpeg
This is what the floor looked like before the OSB board went down. I cut 4 pieces to fit and screwed them in place around the edges of the board.
Sorry no pictures of what it looked like after it went down.

The last step to the floor before we started on the walls wats laying down the vinyl sheet. The stuff we had a friend gave us. We opted not to glue it dow. And stapled the screwed isn’t down until I can out 1x2 board over it after the walls are done.

It did how ever come in two pieces. So that does leave a seem. My idea to cover it was to build a type of very simple nesting box areas that would cover that seem. And maybe my girls will use it. I figured if I did it right I might also be able to use it to make a shelf storage for extra bedding and cleaning tools. Still have to work out the details and the area isn’t along the back well like I wanted but to the right of the entry way instead.

5B46DC1C-9293-4F4E-8FA1-CC59815E323C.jpeg E1295FE8-2D64-45DB-8254-CC1BF0B424E8.jpeg
As you can see from the second picture the seem sorta sticks out. I am certain bored duckies will pull and yank on it until the floor is destroyed.

as always comments or suggestions are welcome.

Here are two of my babies waiting to grow up to go into the big duckie house.

Frost. Wiley-E-Duck

596F4836-D436-4C00-8E27-D68EB851D41A.jpeg 4C6A817B-9099-4FA1-950F-17631504D680.jpeg

I think they are setting boards over the tarp, the tarp is basically just acting as a waterproof barrier because there is going to be some cracks in the wood when they bud it up to each other.

At least that's what I'm getting from the photos.

Tarp roof is because of my skills in wood working. It was the easiest roof to work without complications of figuring out weight and how to connect to the base. I have to find something flexible and light enough to go over the tarp. But my opinions at this time have been pretty limited to what I can have shipped and have read peoples experience with.

I think maybe the clear panels that have been used for green houses as I have seen many with curved tops. But again my experience isn’t great in this product.

the tarp also served to water seal a good chunk of the duck house as it was not prefectly sealed with out caulking it to death. The temperature here has been to low for it to set.

Back
Top Bottom