Weld mesh advice .. tacker, staples..

EireRoo

Songster
Aug 11, 2023
Hi, I've been making some chicken tractors and I'm wondering what size staple would I use for a decent strength welded mesh?
Any recommendations of a gun? Should I go electric or manual?
Have seen a Stanley electric one nearby.
Thanks in advance

I went to look at the box hubby used for our fence and his are 18-gauge 5/8". He's got a cordless one. He left it outside or where I don't see it, but I know Stanley is a good brand.

IMG_0473.jpeg

I used all 1 1/4 18gauge staples in mine

Staples are fine, but should not be the only thing between predators and chickens. The wire can be pulled off or pushed in. Use staples to get it up and on -quick and easy. But, follow behind with screw and washer every so often, or strip of wood screwed on/over the wire.

Here, we stapled up, then sandwiched the entire length with wood and screws to sandwich the wire between the wide wood pieces, so the screws also help keep wire from being pushed/pulled.

Here is pic from when we were replacing chain link fence to predator proof run. Door is getting dried out before we use it- that’s why it’s clamped this way. But, to the right of the door you see the vertical wood - the wire is sandwiched. The wire goes under the roof support and there is a short strip of wood sandwiching the wire there.
IMG_3908.jpeg

What kind of welded wire? Are we talking about hardware cloth or something like larger gauge welded fencing? And what climate is this in?

I used 1/4" wide 18ga pneumatic staples on my hardware cloth, because I get no real weather and everything has an overhang to keep moisture off it, so no worry about them rotting out quickly. If I was stapling a heavy-gauge welded fencing I'd be using larger staples, maybe 7/16" pneumatic staples, or hand-hammer 1/2" wide romex/cable staples. Can also use screws such as lathing/truss head screws or screws combined with fender washers

Thanks ,I haven't been getting notifications.
Everybody who replied I'm grateful. I'm living in Ireland so a mix of weather and a lot of rain.
I have screws and washers and it's the hardware cloth like a light mesh but certainly not the lightest. The staples I've used before would get ripped out easily by pine marten and would rust,Thanks

I would use screws with large washers (I think they're called fender washers in the USA) for all mesh fixings, or better still, a strong strip of wood or aluminium screwed on the outside of the mesh and into the woodwork behind.
Staples are okay in some applications like a stock fence but for construction, where a decent level of security is required, screws and washers is what I prefer.

In this picture you can see the tarpaulin is wrapped around a length of wood and is fixed into the coop extension frame on the edges where there is sufficient depth of wood to ensure a good fix.
PA130432.JPG

This is the other side, there are srews and washers underneath the tarpaulin edge gripping the steel mesh.
PA130431.JPG

This is the front showing srews and washers holding down the folded steel mesh.
P9230278.JPG

The coop extension (the white part) is bolted to the coop itself with 6mm bolts and nuts.
The black tarpaulin covering the coop has stripwood wrapped around the edge and screws driven through the tarpaulin, strippwood and into the coop frame.
P2280460.JPG

I would use screws with large washers (I think they're called fender washers in the USA) for all mesh fixings, or better still, a strong strip of wood or aluminium screwed on the outside of the mesh and into the woodwork behind.
Staples are okay in some applications like a stock fence but for construction, where a decent level of security is required, screws and washers is what I prefer.

In this picture you can see the tarpaulin is wrapped around a length of wood and is fixed into the coop extension frame on the edges where there is sufficient depth of wood to ensure a good fix.
View attachment 3759605

This is the other side, there are srews and washers underneath the tarpaulin edge gripping the steel mesh.
View attachment 3759604

This is the front showing srews and washers holding down the folded steel mesh.
View attachment 3759603

The coop extension (the white part) is bolted to the coop itself with 6mm bolts and nuts.
The black tarpaulin covering the coop has stripwood wrapped around the edge and screws driven through the tarpaulin, strippwood and into the coop frame.
View attachment 3759602
Excellent I've just done a similar job with the screws and washers on a tarpaulin.
I think I'll put the mesh in place with tacks and follow up with screws and washers .

Back
Top Bottom