WELL everyone pray for me my flock has Infectious Laryngotracheitis

Does vacine need to given by a vet or can we do it ourselves? If we can give it ourselves where does one get it?

I think this is all of BYCers worst nightmare. So very sorry for your loss. I just can't imagine how diffecult this is for you.

The vaccine can be obtained from Peter Brown at First State Vet Supply, and probably from other sources.

Be careful! There are other vaccines available that leave the birds as carriers... the LT-I Vax does not.

It can be given as drops in the eye (nostril also, I think, but do your due diligence rather than take that from me!)

(Edited for poor typing skills!)

Last edited:
just because a disease is reportable does not mean it is listed on their website. due to privacy an outbreak wouldn't neccasarily be posted in open view but techs like me and other state ag people get email notifications of all that stuff for all the states but it is up to our state vets to send us what we need to know.

vaccine can be given by urself but some states it can't be shipped to those r states that require vets to give them. u need LT-I vax can shed same as others but it is a mild form of the real disease. yep it definately is a nightmare. however if u don't show or don't take in auction birds excetra then a backyard flock shouldn't need vaccinated for it. since it is a live virus if u don't do those things unless u know it is in ur area u shouldn't expose them to it. if u give the vaccine and they start to show signs it is normal and r supost to subside in about 4 days and start clearing up. if they do u know the vaccine worked and they have the antibodies and immunity building.

the cheapest place to get the vacine online is twin city poultry suppy u don't have to pay for the extra cooler supplies and ice and is approx 2 days shipping priority. yes u don't want the vent brush vaccine it is more spreadable it has nothing to do with carriers it is more highly concentrated doses. after vaccine is given no in or out birds for 30 days all of the live virus vaccines shed virus.

LT-I vax can be given as dropper in one eye, put in waterers or fume sprayed into houseing totally closed up. dropper in eye is easiest and insures proper doseage. dropper in include from twin city but u need to get the saline to mix or use contact lens saline for humans to rehdrate it. u have ONE HOUR from the time u rehydrate it to use the vaccine or it is no good. if u have alot of birds coop them all first before u mix it so catching them in minimal time wasted and have a few peple help. we have 4 do it. one droppers, 2 catch and one puts them in the pens when done and opens drop doors. doing it that way it took 45 min to vaccinate 200 birds with 4 people. wear gloves and protective covering(use biosecurity) only bird without signs or symtoms need vaccinated others have antibodies started.

Last edited:
Good information, therealsilkiechick.

The process of determining specific diseases and sorting through all of the conflicting information about symptoms and treatment is so very daunting and frustrating. I suppose it may get easier to find the correct information as the number of chicken-keepers increases and access to data improves.

We thought that we might be experiencing ILT in our flock (the mild form) but it may be Coryza after all. We had all but ruled out Coryza because of the lack of foul odor that everyone talks and writes about associated with Coryza, but then I learned that the odor is caused by a secondary bacteria that is often present with Coryza but not always. Sigh.

So sorry to hear that you and your birds are experiencing this. I hope that you can find some comfort in the support that we all send your way.

yes, Coryza is very similar and terrimycin can treat that one but tylan is better and faster if u can do the injections.

with ILT when mine had it they had odor caused by a secondary bacteria it smelled like furmented yeast(some had some didn't) and they had a weird paste butt, so yes even with ILT that can be or not be presant.

Back
Top Bottom