Well Hello and call me stupid 8)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Petuniapig, May 20, 2010.

1. Petuniapig

Petuniapig Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2010
    West Texas
    Hello everyone. My name is Gayla, I am 45 years old and I did a stupid thing and now I need your help lol

I have an old Brower 817G Incubator model number 11670-3, 155 watts, 120 volts, cycle 60 AC.
    It is a round aluminum with one small round window and a screw sticking up in the center that says decrease one way and increase the other.
    It has been in storage for 25+ years and belonged to an uncle who has passed away.
    I decided I wanted to raise Guineas and drug it out of storage and cleaned it up and plugged it in. The light came and on it heated up. Thermometer that is in it is the original one that came with it and says 120 so I have turned the screw on top to decrease. Now what has me stumped is the screw has a wing nut at the bottom, I am not sure if you turn the screw or the wing nut lol. The temp is not decreasing in any case. If anyone knows anything about this kind of incubator I could sure use some help. I already got a couple dozen eggs waiting to put in so I have to figure this out or find someone to incubate them for me lol. Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
  3. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    You turn the screw. Then tighten the wing nut back up.

4. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    [​IMG] from California and what Elite Silkies said.

5. rebecky1305

rebecky1305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Lansing, MI
    [​IMG] Glad you could join us! And there is no such thing as a stupid question here on BYC. You can't learn if you don't ask [​IMG]

6. Petuniapig

Petuniapig Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2010
    West Texas
    Quote:I may have found the problem, when I turn the screw the nut turns with it, they are stuck together...hmmm
    Let me dig out the WD-40 and see what happens.

7. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Loosen the wingnut. it's ok if it turns with the adjustment screw. Slowly back off the adjustment screw until your light goes off. Do this until the right temperature is found. After your temp holds steady, keeping the adjustment screw completely still, tighten the wingnut just enough that it will keep the adjustment screw from turning. Problem solved. The wingnut is just to hold the other from getting accidentally bumped & out of adjustment.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2010
  8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. Good advice given. Good luck with it. [​IMG]

9. Lolita

Lolita Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    FL
    [​IMG]

10. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida! Glad you joined us! [​IMG] Good luck, and have fun! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by