Well here are my first 2 ducks we got on Friday:)

chickenlady08

Songster
10 Years
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Shore, VA
37732_2010-09-03_16-03-27_4.jpg

They are around 3 1/2 weeks old. They are Khaki Campbell. I had been wanting to get some ducks but was going to wait until the Spring but the kids are super excited and wanted them now. So they are inside my house in a large plastic tub, making such a mess. They are sweet and I can't wait for them to go outside with my Geese and chickens.

chickenlady08 wrote:
They are sweet and I can't wait for them to go outside with my Geese and chickens.

Now isn't that the truth!
lol.png
They are adorable, though. And fun. I'm sure you'll have a blast with them. Do you know if they're boys or girls?​

They really are cute, and with just two they should stay pretty tame. They really grow fast, they'll be outside before you know it (but not before you're ready).

Quote:
Now isn't that the truth!
lol.png
They are adorable, though. And fun. I'm sure you'll have a blast with them. Do you know if they're boys or girls?

I actually don't have a clue if they are boys or girls, but so hoping there is a boy and a girl. I read on here somewhere that the boy has a white marking on the head and neck. One of them has a white marking on the neck. I hope so. I plan on getting some Appleyards and some Call Ducks next year. My husband is going to dig me a pond and has already started fencing half of the backyard in for all of them to roam and be contained safely. I also plan on getting some goats also. I am soooooooooooooooo excited. I never thought I would love being a farm gal. lol I can live ON a farm but can't live OFF the farm if you know what I mean.

Anyone know of ways to tell the sex besides the vent and I REFUSE to do that? Will just wait until next year to see if I get some eggs. Oh my and added bonus. lol

Do your ducks eat alot or are they nibblers? They are most certainly messy. lol

You will know their sexes in about one month simply by their voices. By 7-8 weeks the girls will loudly quack while the boys sound like they have a sore throat and can't get anything out but a rasping sound. Be aware that you will need to clean the pond quite often. Well it depends on the size, but a kiddie pool will need to be cleaned every 2-4 days so you get an idea. Plus they will eat all the water plants in it. So as cute as a pond sounds, it may not be practical. Most of us use kiddie pools instead. Add a ball valve to the side and you don't have to lift it to empty it. I keep my ducks out of my koi pond at all times. It is actually a very large stock tank, but they will mess it up.

Oh they are going to be so much fun. We have a koi pond now that is fenced in our garden. My husband is going to dig the pond just for the ducks and geese to swim around in. He is going to dig until he hits a spring or we can just flood it regularly. But thanks for the warning of how much they can mess up, but this will be theirs to do as they please.

I have noticed that they are not eating alot right now, they are however making the biggest mess I have ever seen. I thought my geese were messy, but they aren't even close to these little guys.

I can't wait to see if they are boy or girl. I think I have a Gander and a Goose. They were the last 2 left. Same with the ducks. How lucky will that be to have one of each.

What can ducks eat? They are eating the Non-medicated chick starter now.

thanks

actually when i showed my khaki campbells this summer and looked at the APA book they aren't supposed to have white on at all. mine has a little on its chest. (just a minor flaw that i think makes him look even better
big_smile.png
)

48551_100_2801.jpg

48551_100_2804.jpg

48551_100_2799.jpg

Last edited:
I just have mine as pets and don't plan on showing them, but thanks for the information. I like to learn as much as possible about my endeavors. I just got the ducks before I did all of the research, but they will have a forever wonderful home here with all of the other critters.

Back
Top Bottom