Well here goes nothing.

Jarvi

Hatching
May 10, 2015
Today is the day I start reusing all the junk around and in my garage to make a coop. Plus using the old dog run fencing for a chicken run, will keep you posted on my progress.

Any words of wisdom from Wisconsin chicken owners will be appreciated.

Jarvi

Welcome to the BYC flock. If you would like to post on the Wisconsin thread go to "where am I, where are you," in the social forum. You can locate and post on your state thread and may find other chicken neighbors close enough to give you a hand.

Many folks make their coops/runs from materials leftover from other projects, or even shipping pallets, that are discarded behind stores etc. If you can score large wooden, appliance crates it's quite a victory. Often on Craig's list people are either selling coops, dog runs etc. or even giving them away gratis - if someone can come and get them.

Now and then they even throw in whatever chickens they had, the food, etc. Chickens are not for everyone and some people are sorry they started and just want everything gone.

Another good place to check for unwanted items, is garbage day in your area - often very good items are put out and can be repurposed for chickens. Or after garaged sales, people usually dump the leftovers by the curb for trash pick up day.

Hello there Garden and welcome to BYC!

Good luck with the coop build! We are all behind you and if you run into any difficulty, feel free to ask around the forums.

Welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC, Jarvi. Glad you decided join our flock. Be sure and cover that chicken run with hardware cloth. Too many predators can squeeze through the openings of larger mesh, or tear through chicken wire. There is a good article at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/07/11-tips-for-predator-proofing-chickens.html on protecting your chickens from predators. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your coop built.

Back
Top Bottom