Well, he's toast now

Good luck with your healing, so glad he didn't chip a bone. In March I bought 7 barred rock 3 day old pullets. Two of them turned out to be roosters. I can not let my flock free range so I don't want roosters( but I do enjoy their crowing). I have tried to keep roosters in the past but at about a year old they get very protective of their hens. Last year I was spurred on the leg from behind. He was soup! This year I have decided not to let them get old. I am 77 years old and don't need injuries' from a roost if it can be prevented. Any day now they will go to freezer camp!

My stupid WL rooster finally bought himself a one-way ticket to freezer camp. I was sitting on the edge of the back porch yesterday afternoon having a little quiet time hand-feeding the chickens some BSFL (their favorite treat). Todd (my rooster) wasn't a problem at all when we first got him about 9 months ago, but he's been getting increasingly combative with me for some time now, for reason(s) unbeknownst to me. He's normally pretty sedate at treat time though, even participating with no aggressive behavior at all, and this time appeared to be no different...until I turned my head for a second to give some larvae to one of the hens who was standing just behind my left shoulder. Apparently he thought that was a great opportunity to launch a sneak attack and he hit my right arm like a ton of bricks, sinking one spur into my forearm and the other directly into my wrist. Were I not bleeding like a stuck pig and my wrist in severe pain I would have killed him on the spot...but I was and it was, so that bought him a little time. I let both punctures bleed for just a little bit to help flush them out, then cleaned them up with peroxide and stopped the bleeding. Then I thought it a good idea to hit a local 24/7 urgent care joint to get a tetanus shot and a scrip for some antibiotics, which I did. As the night wore on my wrist and hand swelled a bit (which the doctor said would likely happen) and the pain became quite intense, making me think that I might have a hairline fracture in one or more of the little bones in/near the wrist. But this morning that pain had largely subsided (though it still aches pretty bad if I put any pressure on my wrist), which I wouldn't expect if anything were actually broken.

Given that I'm right-handed he has a few more days to strut around and crow until my hand and wrist feel good enough to grab his feathered ass and take him out of the gene pool. My fault for putting it off this long hoping he'd eventually learn better.
Just de spur him. There are videos on YouTube to show you how to do it.

My stupid WL rooster finally bought himself a one-way ticket to freezer camp. I was sitting on the edge of the back porch yesterday afternoon having a little quiet time hand-feeding the chickens some BSFL (their favorite treat). Todd (my rooster) wasn't a problem at all when we first got him about 9 months ago, but he's been getting increasingly combative with me for some time now, for reason(s) unbeknownst to me. He's normally pretty sedate at treat time though, even participating with no aggressive behavior at all, and this time appeared to be no different...until I turned my head for a second to give some larvae to one of the hens who was standing just behind my left shoulder. Apparently he thought that was a great opportunity to launch a sneak attack and he hit my right arm like a ton of bricks, sinking one spur into my forearm and the other directly into my wrist. Were I not bleeding like a stuck pig and my wrist in severe pain I would have killed him on the spot...but I was and it was, so that bought him a little time. I let both punctures bleed for just a little bit to help flush them out, then cleaned them up with peroxide and stopped the bleeding. Then I thought it a good idea to hit a local 24/7 urgent care joint to get a tetanus shot and a scrip for some antibiotics, which I did. As the night wore on my wrist and hand swelled a bit (which the doctor said would likely happen) and the pain became quite intense, making me think that I might have a hairline fracture in one or more of the little bones in/near the wrist. But this morning that pain had largely subsided (though it still aches pretty bad if I put any pressure on my wrist), which I wouldn't expect if anything were actually broken.

Given that I'm right-handed he has a few more days to strut around and crow until my hand and wrist feel good enough to grab his feathered ass and take him out of the gene pool. My fault for putting it off this long hoping he'd eventually learn better.
Someone really ought to write a book on Guide to a Well Behaved Chicken. They have one for parrots. What one comes to understand when reading the Parrot book is that birds act according to their behavior as if they were in the wild with others of their own kind. To the roaster (rooster) he is acting according to chicken behavior, to him things are normal. Chickens are too stupid to think it is anything else, like vengeance or vendettas. He is simply behaving as a chicken should behave in the coop. So it begs the question, why is he attacking you? One thing that seems to be the commonality with all birds, is the pecking order, and the one thing that determines that oftentimes is their height compared to ours. If the bird is highest in the coop, above or equal to our heads and shoulders, He may get the idea that he is the number one cluck. This being said, if he sees you as one who is part of his pecking order, and you are exhibiting "rude" behavior by ignoring his "chicken brained" idea that he is number one in the pecking order, Look Out! If you want a tame rooster, try making sure he is never above your head or sits above the other birds. If we want to raise chickens, we may need to start thinking like them or at least knowing how they think. You are part of the coop, and your a "rude bird", you need to be brought down a notch. So whos fault is it? If we take steps to ensure he never gets into his "bird brain" that he is the top squawk, he would never be a problem.

Last edited:
Raising multiple cockerels, like mentioned before, is your best bet. I’ve raised 30 to 40 and it really does depend on the bird. 1 out of a batch normally turns out aggressive and you really don’t know until they’re past their “teenage” stage.

After losing the use of my thumb for two weeks to a nasty rooster spur to my tendon, my husband so kindly got the shot gun out. Human aggressive roosters should be taken out asap. They could do permanent damage. Imagine a little one going out to see the pretty, friendly chickens and losing an eye.

"Feathered ass." LMAO 🤣

I had a similar roo. He'd come after me but just a bump. My second roo, Cogburn, would often block him out (Love that bird). One day he got through and put a spur to me. I shot him (I carry on property.), threw him in the creek and he sailed away.

Cogburn is awesome, even good with the granddaughters (9) -- he'll take food from their hands. I guess he was paying attention to the aforementioned conflict. :)

That's an understatement. I'd still like to have a rooster, if for no other reason than as protection for the hens (this one was good at that, which is the only reason I kept him around this long). But instead of adopting one someone else was getting rid of I think I'll raise one from a much, much younger bird in the hopes that makes it more likely to be relaxed around me.
I’m so sorry that happened! We got ours as a pullet from our neighbor. As soon as he started to get aggressive we started swatting him with flyswatters every time he came too close. If I didn’t have a flyswatter I’d grab a stick or tuck him under my arm like a football, “Timeout”, and hold him for a while, while I walked around continuing my chores. Humiliating in front of the ladies. :p I even went through a phase where I launched him with my foot, but I’ve found that he is pretty respectful now. When he looks at me sideways I face him and walk toward him. He really doesn’t want me to grab him. Anyway, I’m not sure this will work with all roosters but it does with mine. Handling them from chicks has worked for me as well. I hope you’re healing well, and biscuits on top of the stew at the end of cooking time are delicious!

I’m so sorry that happened! We got ours as a pullet from our neighbor. As soon as he started to get aggressive we started swatting him with flyswatters every time he came too close. If I didn’t have a flyswatter I’d grab a stick or tuck him under my arm like a football, “Timeout”, and hold him for a while, while I walked around continuing my chores. Humiliating in front of the ladies. :p I even went through a phase where I launched him with my foot, but I’ve found that he is pretty respectful now. When he looks at me sideways I face him and walk toward him. He really doesn’t want me to grab him. Anyway, I’m not sure this will work with all roosters but it does with mine. Handling them from chicks has worked for me as well. I hope you’re healing well, and biscuits on top of the stew at the end of cooking time are delicious!

Back
Top Bottom