Well, he's toast now

Pics

DParker75089

Songster
Mar 20, 2020
D/FW Texas
My stupid WL rooster finally bought himself a one-way ticket to freezer camp. I was sitting on the edge of the back porch yesterday afternoon having a little quiet time hand-feeding the chickens some BSFL (their favorite treat). Todd (my rooster) wasn't a problem at all when we first got him about 9 months ago, but he's been getting increasingly combative with me for some time now, for reason(s) unbeknownst to me. He's normally pretty sedate at treat time though, even participating with no aggressive behavior at all, and this time appeared to be no different...until I turned my head for a second to give some larvae to one of the hens who was standing just behind my left shoulder. Apparently he thought that was a great opportunity to launch a sneak attack and he hit my right arm like a ton of bricks, sinking one spur into my forearm and the other directly into my wrist. Were I not bleeding like a stuck pig and my wrist in severe pain I would have killed him on the spot...but I was and it was, so that bought him a little time. I let both punctures bleed for just a little bit to help flush them out, then cleaned them up with peroxide and stopped the bleeding. Then I thought it a good idea to hit a local 24/7 urgent care joint to get a tetanus shot and a scrip for some antibiotics, which I did. As the night wore on my wrist and hand swelled a bit (which the doctor said would likely happen) and the pain became quite intense, making me think that I might have a hairline fracture in one or more of the little bones in/near the wrist. But this morning that pain had largely subsided (though it still aches pretty bad if I put any pressure on my wrist), which I wouldn't expect if anything were actually broken.

Given that I'm right-handed he has a few more days to strut around and crow until my hand and wrist feel good enough to grab his feathered ass and take him out of the gene pool. My fault for putting it off this long hoping he'd eventually learn better.

Can you roast a big rooster like that or would it be more of a stew pot situation? Just curious. Sorry I don't know anything about butchering chickens.
I've never butchered a rooster before, but pretty much everything I've read says that at his age (> 1 year) he'll almost certainly be too tough for anything other than low-and-slow. And that's perfectly fine with me. I have a Dutch oven, a pressure cooker, a Crock Pot and a sous vide cooker...so I have options a-plenty.

I have a 15 pound Muscovy Drake Duck. He is almost a year old. He huffs and puffs which is normal for them and watches everything I do in the Duck yard. I have vowed if he ever lands on me with his huge claws he will go to our friend that likes roast Duck. As much as we love our animals our safety and well being have to come first. If not they will have no one to take care of the rest of the flock. So sorry this happened to you and he certainly earned his one way ticket to Freezer Camp.

So sorry you were hurt, glad you hit the clinic for those meds.
People don't realize what an obnoxious rooster can do! It was a learning experience, so next year you will be on top of those early warning behaviors, and not get to this point with anyone.
Get well soon,
Mary
That's an understatement. I'd still like to have a rooster, if for no other reason than as protection for the hens (this one was good at that, which is the only reason I kept him around this long). But instead of adopting one someone else was getting rid of I think I'll raise one from a much, much younger bird in the hopes that makes it more likely to be relaxed around me.

Back
Top Bottom