Well Hi There...

Nancerina

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 12, 2013
I've been visiting the BYC site for a few years now, investigating the possibility of starting up a "City Coop" in Colorado Springs. I had written it off as too expensive (cost-v-benefit). But then, about a month ago, my neighbors spotted a stray chicken just strolling down the street (what the....?).

Anyway, I was the one with the space and the resources and the desperate need to save something. So now my ex-non-producing-vegetable garden is a chicken run with room for six hens, but so far, only one stray-but-beautiful barnevelder. I have plans to expand the "herd" soon with a little help from a new-found friend from Falcon.

I guess I should add that the chicken/soon-to-be-chicken(s) are my "remission" celebration project...I have Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma which "looks like it's in remission" after a stem-cell transplant (my oncologist would totally freak if he knew...no worries -- I mask/glove when I go out to the chicken enclosure).

So, long introductory post, but that's how I ended up here. And the adventure begins....

BTW, the dog is Hamish, who tolerates "Inge" well in his back yard, as long as I keep her gate closed, that is...

Last edited:
:welcome Sounds like Inge is one lucky hen to have found you, who knew there were stray chickens in Colorado Springs. You'll find chickens quite addictive and I'm sure you'll be up to six in no time, they are a lot of fun and entertainment. Congratulations on beating NHL, best wishes for continued good health. Chickens are a good way to celebrate. Have you picked out what new breeds you are going to get? Guess Hamish will soon have new chickens to watch.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us!

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

Good luck with your continued recovery. As long as you practice good cleanliness, I would imagine chickens would be good for the spirit during a long illness.

Back
Top Bottom