Well, I did it!

Gnawsey

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 3, 2007
Hi everyone! I'm new to posting here, but I've been lurking for quite sometime.

I'm so excited. I just ordered my first chickens. I live in the city, so I'm going to have 3 illegal chickens. haha I told my husband I've always wanted to live on the wrong side of the law.
big_smile.png
When I went to the feed store to order, the lady working there said over half the chicks they sell are illegal. Guess I'm not the only one.

I'm converting a old rabbit hutch into a coop. The coop is 2'6'' by 4', so it should be fine for 3 hens. Plus, they'll have a good size run, most of our side yard.

I ordered an easter egger, Buff Orpington, and a Mottled Houdan. That way, I figure I'll get green, brown, and white eggs.

Anyways, I just wanted to introduce myself and say "Hi" and share some of my excitement.

Stacie

lol.png
i have to say thats the greatest thing ever Maam you broke the law with chickens lol unreal lol i hope you enjoy your chickens i have 12 right now but im pretty sure i can have them in the country lol take care.

Adam

I'm new, too! I have had illegal chickens for 3 years. I guess there are a bunch of outlaws. Even my hens get noisy. I just hope for the best and figure if I am one of many and no one complains, I will get by. Hoping to move out of town when my on graduates.

Why are your chickens illegal? are the city ordinances banning them? if that's all, then I wouldn't worry too much. if they are illegal because they are roosters, you won't be able to hide them. Mine crowed at all hours of the day & night. I don't have them now, but not because of any city ordinances.

welcome to the world of chickens!

If chickens are outlawed, then only outlaws will have chickens...
I am the only one in the neighbourhood with chickens, so I'm rather a pariah...
idunno.gif

As long as you keep the coop/hutch clean, keep the birds from escaping and running loose, like my neighbour's dog :thun, and noone complains, you should be all set.

Welcome Gnawsey!
hitheresmiley.gif

I agree with SpottedCrow
lau.gif
outlaws with chickens!
gig.gif

but remember to give your neighbors fresh eggs and no one will ever complain!

Yes, city ordinances ban chickens, unless you have 1/2 acre of land, which 95% of the city doesn't. I'll be getting hens, so no roosters. Plus, we live on a corner lot, so the chickens will not share a fence with any neighbors. I figure 3 hens will be a lot more quiet then the neighbor's dog who barks at our back fence all day long.

I have a 4 year old and a 1 year old, and I thought it would be fun for them (and me
smile.png
) to have the chickens. I want my kids to know where food comes from. I tease my husband that I have a 1/10 acre homestead. Rabbits, a veggie garden, fruit trees, and now our chicks. It should be a fun adventure.

Stacie

Well good luck with your little homestead. lol only if more "town foke" as we call them around here where like you. It just breaks my heart every time I hear a kid in town answer that milk comes from the corner store.
sad.png
It's suprising how many of the kids around here are like that, even though we are in a area that is 50/50 when it comes to town vias rural areas. Good luck with the new hens and I agree don't forget to bribe the neighbors with fresh eggs.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom