Well, I got a puppy!-- updated with 2 more pics in first post.

Too cute! I too am puppy training a 7 week old. Moma is 55lb pit and daddy is 110lb Yellow lab/ English Mastiff. At 7 weeks she is a big ol stout girl. Congrats on getting DH to let u get him. Best of luck.

Congrats!!! We just got a new puppy too! Us new puppy owners need to compare notes this next year
smile.png

There is a great and somewhat inexpensive book out there called Puppies for Dummies. It's REALLY cute! It has plenty of really good information out there.

Also, start watching The Dog Whisperer. You'll learn some good Do's and don'ts.

This is going to sound a bit weird...but bare with me. Go to www.petfinder.com and click on their message forum. You can find out all kinds of information there about raising a puppy.

However, let me warn you to take everything they suggest with a grain of salt.

There are MANY MANY people on there who will make you feel like you are unworthy of a dog unless you buy the "ultra premium" dog foods.

They will also make you feel like an unworthy dog owner if you EVER let your dog outside without it being FENCED in like Ft Knox.

And some people will shun you if you don't put doggy booties on your dogs in the winter.

Canine extremists? Yeah, but they all mean well. Just use your common sense and dont' let yourself get all tied up in the extremist mentality.

Not that i'm advocating what I'm about to say...but my MIL dog just died (having to be put to sleep because she just wouldn't go on her own...poor thing) at 16 and was fed nothing but drive through junk food and restaurant food her whole life. She was a Chi. She was healthy and spry for 95 % of her life. Would I raise a dog like that? Um, no. But It just goes to show you that dogs can be fed something other than $65 bucks a 40lb bag and have a happy and productive life.
smile.png

(I think some of the dogs on that forum are actually fed better than the owners children
sad.png
But that's another topic waiting to happen)

Quote:
Good idea! When my old girl was a pup she was in a kennel next to the boys we had at the time as I was not sure how everyone would get on at night. I gave her a well covered hot water bottle and a clock with a tick on the kennel wall. She could hear the boys breathing next door and all that stuff meant she was not lonely in the night.

Crate train! We trained our chocolate lab in a couple weeks and after 6 months we were able to let her loose in the house and she is fabulous....only chewed up one thing in the house. The first night we left her out of the crate she got ahold of my husband's wallet and pulled everything out of it. She then chewed up his driver's license....that's it. Left the credit cards, money, etc. Just the biggest pain in the a** thing to go and get replaced that she could find. He was soooooo upset. She never chewed up anything ever again except her toys. She knows what is hers and what's not. She's so sweet, I love her.

That is such a cute puppy, btw. We adopted Charlie, our yellow lab, golden retriever mix in a similar situation. He thinks he is a 100lb lap dog! He's fixed and HUGE. He was the worst one to break of the chewing. We had to spray bitter apple on EVERYTHING. He even ate the springs off of his crate door and then figured out that if he just licked the latch really hard it would open the door and then he could chew up everything in our house. He's an outside dog now.
big_smile.png

Good luck, keep us posted!

Lori

First things, first! Make him sit and stay every time you pet him and every time you feed him. Pet him while he eats so he will not be food aggressive and allow him to sit, stand or lie down while eating but he must be relaxed and also, put your fingers/hand in his food bowl while he eats while petting him- crate train, also. All training in a positive manner, no harshness needed, only consistency:) Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom