Well I have pips again...and eggs coming!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SamG347, Feb 10, 2009.

1. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    I have a small batch of Coturnix eggs that are due today into tomorrow. I just checked the bator to add water and saw pips and eggs rocking. This batch should have the following colors...

Red Tuxedo
    Golden Italian/Manchurian
    Reg.Brown

Only about 12-15 eggs.....but I have 2-3 dozen eggs coming in the mail! They include, Tuxedo, Golden, Golden Ginger, Ginger, and British Dark Range.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Oh well you have to post pics of the red tuxedos Sam-I love tux's but haven't seen the reds [​IMG]

3. SamG347

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    I will!!! Really hoping they hatch....this group would have been over 30 eggs but the thermometer I was using was just a cheapo from walmart that I got at the last minute to use in my one bator....But I just checked....have 3 eggs with visible pips and 2 eggs rocking. Hopefully tomorrow I will wake up and have lots of chicks...well lots meaning 5-7 out of the 12 hopefully. More would be nice too!
    [​IMG]

4. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    I love quail and am so interested in them. I was wondering what do you do with them?? I know you keep them to breed and hatch them but what are other uses for them?? Do people buy the adult birds?? I would love to try to hatch out some in the future but am not sure what to do with them once I have them??

This may not be the right thread to ask this but I am curious:frow

5. SamG347

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Don't worry about thread jacking. I will have lots of hatching eggs and birds avaliable this spring/summer. I use my birds for breeding....meat...and eggs. Also have people that buy them to train dogs.
    [​IMG]

6. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Can't wait to see the babies from this batch!! Oh yeah one more quail question...[​IMG] Do people eat quail eggs like chicken eggs ??? I know they are small but just curious....again. [​IMG]

7. SamG347

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Yep you can....I think most hard-boil them though.
    [​IMG]

8. SamG347

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    1 Golden chick out! The chick is mostly white so I will be interested to see what she/he grows into.
    4 More eggs pipped.

[​IMG]

9. Scraps

Scraps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    End of a dirt road...
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Go chickies go!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. SamG347

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    As of this morning I have...

2 Reg.brown chicks
    2 Golden chicks
    1 Red Tuxedo chick

I think this might be all for this hatch. Leaving them in the bator till I get home then switching them to my temporary brooder aka the ten gallon fish tank...and in 3-4 days they will go in with the other chicks.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by