Well, I just chased a FOX out of the yard!

I free range my girls during the day, as I am from Key West and we had chickens and roosters all over, K-mart, the Ihop, bank, downtown at the court house they are just all over and protected. gotta watch for them crossing the street.

Anyway I moved up by Labelle Fl on an acre to have my own chicks. I would like to ask if it is possible that a cat could kill a pullet. I just found a bunch of gray and white bird feathers by the girl's food and I am missing one of my girls - has been gone since yesterday.

My husband says no way a cat can drag off a pullet or a dove. There was no blood anywhere like it was with the hawk, just feathers.

Anyone got any ideas. Help, at this rate all my pullets will be gone.
idunno.gif
I am down to 5 now. Had 8.

The easiest to use is a cage trap...very basic, and with a nice enticing bait, I've taken fox in a cage trap. 30" X 12" X 12" is the size that I prefer to use...I would advise against using Havahart brand traps, but a lot of people do use then successfully.

The next easiest is a snare set at a crossing point, or in a trail at a funnel point. But for this you'll need to know travel routes.

The last would be the good old reliable 1.5 coil spring and the faithful dirt hole set. I call this the most challenging for a non-trapper, but honestly the most successful once you figure out how to make a proper set.

Do you know of someone that traps in your area?

Having an experienced person on site to show you the subtleties of set making would be very helpful. Otherwise, I could walk you through it....

Last edited:

The easiest to use is a cage trap...very basic, and with a nice enticing bait, I've taken fox in a cage trap. 30" X 12" X 12" is the size that I prefer to use...I would advise against using Havahart brand traps, but a lot of people do use then successfully.

The next easiest is a snare set at a crossing point, or in a trail at a funnel point. But for this you'll need to know travel routes.

The last would be the good old reliable 1.5 coil spring and the faithful dirt hole set. I call this the most challenging for a non-trapper, but honestly the most successful once you figure out how to make a proper set.

Do you know of someone that traps in your area?

Having an experienced person on site to show you the subtleties of set making would be very helpful. Otherwise, I could walk you through it....

I free range my girls during the day, as I am from Key West and we had chickens and roosters all over, K-mart, the Ihop, bank, downtown at the court house they are just all over and protected.  gotta watch for them crossing the street. 

Anyway I moved up by Labelle Fl on an acre to have my own chicks.  I would like to ask if it is possible that a cat could kill a pullet.  I just found a bunch of gray and white bird feathers by the girl's food and I am missing one of my girls  -  has been gone since yesterday. 

My husband says no way a cat can drag off a pullet or a dove.  There was no blood anywhere like it was with the hawk,  just feathers.

Anyone got any ideas.  Help, at this rate all my pullets will be gone. :idunno  I am down to 5 now.  Had 8.

Yes a cat can easily kill both a pullet and a dove.

But you mentioned that all you found were feathers, no body, no blood, etc. It would also be challenging for a cat to carry off a pullet, not impossible, just not probable. Big 25lb alley cat, yeah that's reasonable.

But for practical purposes, based on what you've described, I'm thinking....fox. That type of attack is pretty solid for a fox.

Go for a walk around the property and adjoining lands and see what you can find. You should find an area within 100 yards or so, of the attack, where the predator stopped with the prey (chicken). There will be lots of feathers, lots more to see, so it shouldn't be to hard to miss.

If you find this location, jot down notes of what you see and let us know those details.

Maybe NOT free range the girls till this is over. And make sure that the coop&turn are secure.

Last edited:
Quote:Thanks for the info. I just talked to a guy at work who said he traps and would help me out so maybe we can come up with something that will take old foxy out of the picture. I would like to get a trap like the one you have so if any coons or anything show up in the future maybe I can take care of them too. I'll keep the old 22lr handy in the mean time.

That is awesome...it is so much easier when you have someone with experience right there to help. Let your friend help you. If you go ahead on your own, and the fox triggers whatever trap type you use...and the fox gets away. That fox just went from ignorant to educated...it will be very challenging to catch an educated fox.

Duke makes a heavy duty cage trap that is very similar to what I use...if that helps. I would advise that you get at least 2 cage traps, 3 is better.

And if any coons, skunks, possums come your way...I'll show you some tricks for them using a cage trap. Well maybe not tricks, more like the sublet details that I learned from seasons on the trapline.

Last edited:
OK, thanks!!
Here in Alabama we have plenty of fox, coons, possum's, hawks and like others have said, everything likes the taste of chicken.
I would hate to loose my chickens before I even get my first egg (hate to loose them any time).
I never knew what strange little birds they are, think I'm getting hooked on chicken tv.

Got to admit, mine are starting to grow on me too. Got a feeling these may turn out to be pets more than anything. May have to try getting some meat birds if I'm to put anything in the freezer, except maybe a mean rooster!

Thank you Rock Home Isle. I am sure gonna be on the lookout, I've also seen an orange and white cat has been hanging around the perimeter by the fence. I am so attached to my chickens after just a few weeks. I'll greet them with hello babies and they are starting to talk back.
love.gif

Thank you Rock Home Isle.  I am sure gonna be on the lookout, I've also seen an orange and white cat has been hanging around the perimeter by the fence.  I am so attached to my chickens after just a few weeks.  I'll greet them with hello babies and they are starting to talk back.  :love

It's amazing how quickly we get attached to these birds. I sure do care about mine. I've been home 15 minutes and I've already given them a slice of bread and held half of them.

This is what happens if I forget my evening ritual, they come up on the deck and tap on the window.

If you've got a cat hanging around the chicken run and coop...look for signs of mice. If you find signs of mice...don't chase away that cat.

...just sayin.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom