Well, I'm hooked....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickp, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Songster

Apr 16, 2010
    Me & My Peeps :

Good for you! I have learned that there are 2 kinds of "chick-keepers". 1) Lovers from the start and wonder why they didnt do it sooner 2) those that say "what have I done? How long do these things live"?

I myself am a 1. I spent about 3 years researching chickens to death! When I finally got some, I kept saying " I must be missing something! This aint hard at all".

Same here!!!!!!! Exept I didn't research that long. lol!​

2. Congrats on your babies!! I got my first fluff balls seven years ago and I am STILL hooked. When chick days rolls around I am always down at my local co-op oogling over the chicks. My parents keep telling me I need to apply there so I can be their chicken guru. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Songster

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh! That's so funny! My DH will love that, both of us are super nerds - love all the sci-fi stuff with Star Wars and Star Trek right up at the top. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Songster

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Willow's Meadow :

Me & My Peeps :

Good for you! I have learned that there are 2 kinds of "chick-keepers". 1) Lovers from the start and wonder why they didnt do it sooner 2) those that say "what have I done? How long do these things live"?

I myself am a 1. I spent about 3 years researching chickens to death! When I finally got some, I kept saying " I must be missing something! This aint hard at all".

Same here!!!!!!! Exept I didn't research that long. lol!​

Ditto, my research was about a year and a half - the time it took for us to buy a house actually! We started with 4, got 2 more a few days later, rescued a lone chick on Craigslist a few weeks after that, then split a MPC rainbow special with my BFF (add 13) which arrived the next day, gave away the rescue and a couple pullets to a friend when it turned into a roo, got two started EEs a couple months after that, got 2 more day olds for my broody hen last Friday, then placed another order with MPC for some silkies, a salmon favorelles, a blue cochin, and a buff laced polish also on Friday. Chicken math indeed! So, now I have 19 (17 hens and 2 chicks) and 7 more chicks arriving in Sept. I think I'm in trouble, my limit is 25! [​IMG]

5. littlemissjellyfish

littlemissjellyfish Chirping

Jun 16, 2010
    Maine
    My kiddos wanted to name our chicks (3 weeks old today from MPC) Hanna (Solo), (Darth) Vada, Leia & Luca (Skywalker) *chuckle* Instead we went the Harry Potter & Twilight route!

6. sequoiacyclist

sequoiacyclist Songster

May 29, 2010
    Visalia, CA
    Hahaha....There is no use in resisting. Once the chicken hobby begins there is no going back! [​IMG]

7. chickp

chickp In the Brooder

May 3, 2010
    Georgia
    dh and I are both Star Wars nerds so we thought the names were great. [​IMG] And at first Darth Maul (Mollie) was pecking everybody! But now it seems that Padme is going to be the top of the pecking order, but dd reminded me that she IS a queen, lol!

8. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Songster

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I am addicted also! I started with 12...6 BO's and 6 RIR's. I just wanted some fresh eggs and tick/bug control. Simple. No roosters, no babies, no hatching eggs, no naming them...yeah right! One of my RIR turned out to be a roo, so now I want to keep him at least long enough to raise a batch or 2 of babies. I also keep looking at the really pretty standard breeds...I so want some SLW's! Found a guy that had some 5 weeks old...yah! Husband shot that down:mad: But really, I don't need any more birds, I have enough to keep me swimming in eggs, plenty of tick and bug control...but I want some more! I want a rainbow of chickens in my yard! I am still managing to resist the 'buy and incubator and hatch some eggs' urge, mostly because I am sure the hens will be much better at it than me, plus I have NO PLACE to put an incubator, really no place! So...right now my babies are 8 weeks and every day I see something about them change. They are starting to get more mature sounding clucks, sqauwks, etc. Rooster Cogburn hasn't crowed yet and of course no eggs yet, so I am anticipating more fun in the future! I haven't named anyone but Rooster Cogburn because the rest of them look so much alike I can't tell them apart! So enjoy your chicks, they are so cute! I remember my husband came to me a few days after we got ours and said "Your chickens are dead!" I ran and looked, they had all stretched out on their sides and were taking a nap! They did look dead![​IMG] I told him I would [​IMG] him if he scared me like that again!

9. chickp

chickp In the Brooder

May 3, 2010
    Georgia
    Yes, I was SO glad for this forum because there was a post I read called "dead chick syndrome" about how they just fall over and sleep in the middle of everything! I would have been freaked out had I not known they would just sink down on top of their food or whatever else. But I still love chick naptime so much. SO cute when they all lay down together, like there was a signal. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: