Well, I'm hooked....

chickp

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 3, 2010
Georgia
I am having such a good time watching my five day old chicks! I knew it would be fun but I had no idea how awesome they are and how their little personalities come out right from the start!

They came from MPC and were happily peeping in their box....two Buff Orps and two Barred Rocks. My kids named them Padme, Leia, Mollie (Darth Maul, lol), and Annie (Anakin). My favorite thing they do so far is "chick naptime" where they snuggle down together and sleep for five minutes, and then get up and eat again.

56276_13444_452386549125_777854125_6142816_2289181_n.jpg

56276_35669_452388694125_777854125_6142833_3373764_n.jpg

Thanks for letting me share. I think all is well so far, it's hot here in GA so we have the lamp on at night and have turned it off around noon when it gets up to 90 or so, and they seem fine with that!

Adorable ...I just started this year as well and am COMPLETELY OBSESSED! I went from 0 to 34 in a few months time...LOL...They are more fun than I thought too...good luck with them
big_smile.png

Good for you! I have learned that there are 2 kinds of "chick-keepers". 1) Lovers from the start and wonder why they didnt do it sooner 2) those that say "what have I done? How long do these things live"?

I myself am a 1. I spent about 3 years researching chickens to death! When I finally got some, I kept saying " I must be missing something! This aint hard at all".

You think you're hooked now, just wait until you get an egg! Congrats on the chicks! The addiction leads to many "projects" though........currently building our 3rd coop. Because the 1 that holds 15 chickens just isn't big enough.
lol.png

I live in jacksonville, fl. Are you keeping your little peepers outside? I was worried they might be too cold inside (I've got a heatlamp but when that A/C kicks on it's an artic breeze) I was also worried about them being outside in the pole barn they would be out of the sun but possibly too hot and muggy out there??!!

Never in a million years, prior to chickens in my yard, would I have thought that each chicken would have its own personality like they do. I just thought eggs and fertilizer for my garden would be nifty. Shouldn't be too hard to build a chicken tractor, and would be a good project. Yah, chickens - good idea! Maybe four of 'em? Six at the most?

ROFLMBO. I adore mine. I love looking at pictures of other folks' chickens here on BYC. I slow and stop when driving whenever I see free range chicken in someone's yard. (Or at least I remember where that was and come back later to take a look for a while.)

Wasn't gonna keep a rooster; if one of the chicks grew turned out to be one, I'd take it back (as the feed store said they'd do that). HA! Couldn't get rid of Carly, now named Carl!
Wasn't gonna get any white chickens, they would be easier for predators to see. HA! Picked up a white EE chick AND a Delaware chick about five weeks ago.
Would ALWAYS gather eggs, don't need any hatching. HA! Buffy is broody on 3 eggs right now, and has been for 13 days. Also bought an incubator for some unknown reason (although it's not in use - YET).

And yes, your chicks are beautiful. Such little darlings!

Adorable babies!
love.gif

Now, let the chicken math begin, and we'll see how long it takes before you have more than you remember getting.
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom