Well it happened #@%#%!!!!!!!

twentynine

Songster
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
Lost one and had three injured last night. $ week old chicks in a wire brooder. Bottom is wired with 1/2" hardware cloth. No breaches in the wire, whatever got'em reached from the bottom, pulled feet and toes through the wire. The brooder sits on saw horses about 36" off the ground.

This is what I have done for the injured.

Medicated with antibiotic, put card board down on the bottom of the brooder so whatever is reaching through cannot reach through again.

Going by the hardware store and I am going to get several large Victor rat traps. I realise that if it is a coon or possum the rat traps will not kill it, but it dang sure might discourage anymore preditation.

Because I live next to 400 undeveloped wooded acres, I new I was going to have a predator problem. however I thought my brooder was pretty well protected. This incident discourges me allot, I know that I will never be able to relax and enjoy my chickens, something will always be after'em.

you always have to be ready. If it's not the rats, its raccoons, if its not them its possums or mink... and if they are all on vacation it's a loose dog. Unfortunately trapping is becomming as common as feeding my birds this year. Hope you flock recovers
fl.gif

Sorry to hear about the trouble twentynine but don't get discouraged... you will find that chickens are worth it overall! Outwitting predators is often a challenge, but then without a challenge now and then life would get pretty mundane. Don't give up, I know you will be glad that you didn't.

I don't know much about treating injuries other than to do what you have already done, keep the wounds clean and they will hopefully heal well, chickens have a way of surviving that is truely amazing at times!

You can buy an electric fence charger for about 20 bucks. Put a couple of wires on the outside of the run/coop. I would put one close to the ground and one around the top. This should keep any predators at bay. Good Luck

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I, too, live in an area where I knew my biggest problem having chickens was going to be predation. I planned and took all measures to make sure I had minimal losses, but still lost a bird. It is discouraging when you think you have all your bases covered and still lose. I hope you don't take this to heart. It happens. I now treat "chicken husbandry" like a big game with very high stakes- you win some, you lose some. Overall, I feel like I'm winning because I get to enjoy the sight of my kooky chickens racing all over the yard.

Better luck next time.

Been hard at it all morning.

After I moped around for a few minutes, fussed and cussed, I put my brain into gear.

1. Moved the chicks to the new tractor, temporarily, so I can rework the brouder wire. They will remain their until this afternoon. The brouder is actually ready again, but having been chased all night and then handled this morning, I am worried about shock.

2. Flipped the brouder over and installed a second layer of wire with a 2" seperation from the actual floor of the brouder.

3. Mouse traps. 12 of'em. They will only be a deterant, but I am hoping they might snap an evil toe or 2.

The second layer of wire is installed on the bottom of the floor support lumber, the floor is installed on the top of that same lumber, thus the 2" between. This should provide a 2" buffer so evil paws and teeth can not actually reach the chicks feet.

For all you animal lovers out there. I do not hate predators, after all they are only following their nature. Doing what God intended them to do. However I do wish and I do hope to inspire them to do it somewhere else.

Sorry about your chickies. They heal amazingly well though.

I would use RAT traps instead of mouse traps. They are big enough to cause some consternation to even a racoon...especially a bunch of them. Would hate to bet my fingers caught in one.

Sounds like that is the problem (racoon) since the predator reached through the small wire. They have very dexterous (sp?) fingers.

Maybe condider getting/borrowing and setting a trap as it will keep coming back after your chickens when they are grown even.

Be sure to get some light chain to fasten down your mouse / rat traps. If you don't they will only be used once. What ever you trap will run off with your trap if it isn't instantly killed.

Doug

Back
Top Bottom