Well.. Just Got Back From The ER With Hubby...

redhen

Kiss My Grits...
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Western MA
As a lot of you know, we're having a heat wave in New England these last couple of days...
He worked outside from 7-11 am today...fixing the dog pen and moving some empty animal houses around the yard.
So he came in to lay down for a bit because he had a bad headache..(the headache got so bad he was holding his head and kinda wimpering curled in a ball..
sad.png
..).... then he starts to vomit... alot. And i couldnt get him to keep any fluid down... it kept coming back up..
The last straw was he was getting confused, i was talking to him and he wasnt responding correctly..... then he stood up and i said "where are you going" And he didnt answer me..just looked at me all dumb like..... then i looked at his face and knew he was going down..
I hopped up to try to catch him..but i didnt reach him in time and he fell face down >>
th.gif
..half on the bed and half on the floor. I shook him and he still didnt respond right away... Finally he came around as i was turning him over... (he dosent remember passing out..)
I was FREAKING (in my head..) thinking he had a heart attack or something... a million things were going through my mind... "I dont know CPR well enough to save him" , " Should i give him an aspirin in case its his heart?", What if its not his heart and i make the bleeding worse with an aspirin (in case of stroke..)?"..." What do i DO!!?"
barnie.gif
"How will I ever live without him?"...
Thats a scary place to be..
hit.gif

So i called my aunt at the station and she sent out the EMTs.. They took one look at him and took his vitals and said..yup.. you're coming with us buddy...
They think heat stroke and dehydration..
Everything on his heart came back okay. Thankfully.
The doc gave him a little lecture about this weather.. and how dangerous it really is.
Hes fine now... we're home and hes resting. I told him that we ARE taking a CPR class after this scare...
barnie.gif

Anyways... even though ( thankfully) everything turned out fine... i just wanted you folks to know how VERY dangerous this type of heat can be. It can damage your organs and even kill you.
Just be careful in this weather guys. The doc said IF you HAVE to be out in this weather... water will NOT suffice. You need water and gatorade..(electrolytes..)..one after the other.. and EVEN something extra salty..like pretzels.

Last edited:
Thank goodness he is okay! What a scare! From now on, he will be more susceptible to heat stroke. Keep him hydrated and cool on these hot humid days even if it means tying him to a chair.

Very glad he okay. Maybe when he is feeling better you should invest in one of those camelback packs for if he goes back out into the yard. Fill it with ice water so he doesn't have to remember every 30 minutes to come in and drink some fuilds. And when it's empy come back in and keep filling it. Dehydration and the heat can be very dangerous. I lived in upstate New York last summer and was surprised at the humidity up there. Being from Nevada I didn't know anything except the dry heat, but the humiditymakes it that much more dangerous.

hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Happy to hear he is doing well, continue to let him rest up good and well.

OMG! How scary! I thought heat stroke immediately too. Gotta be careful. I'm glad he's ok now. I would have totally freaked, for real.

It is so important, my dad just started last year drinking Powerade instead of canned iced tea in the field and my boyfriend works outside of a garage fixing large equipment so i just bought a big 15 pack of bottles of Gatorade for him to take in his cooler. He drinks a lot of water but if your going into a heat stroke too much water isnt good either. Glad to hear he is doing ok and his lesson learned turned out on the good side. It was 102 here today and predicting another 2 days of it. Praying for rain or the crops wont make it.

Glad to hear he's alright. We live in..*how did the weather channel put it*...oh ya, extreme south Texas. It is routinely 100* throughout the summer/spring/fall months. The best advice I can give is to tie a bandanna loosely around his neck and wear loose clothing like overalls. The bandanna will catch the sweat and slowly evaporate cooling the veins in the neck. You can also wet it helping the process. The loose clothing will release trapped heat away from the body. And above all else, drink lots and lots of small amounts of water. Too much will make you sick.

Last edited:
Thanks guys..
yeah..i think he learned his lesson from this one. Hes one that will never drink water... its always soda or juice or something like that. Never water.
he said that he "thinks" he had A (as in one..)glass of water while he was working outside today.
roll.png
Plus he was outside yesterday in the heat working for a bit too....
So he was probably a bit dehydrated already...

Last edited:
Very scary...good to hear he is okay.

I get P.O.'d at my mother's boyfriend...he is a truck driver, but his truck's AC isn't working...it has been high 90's low 100's here and he never takes enough fluids with him doesn't eat for 12+ hours as he works...just asking for trouble.

In fact he's the type who won't eat all day and then complain about being really hungry with low blood sugar...and I'm like, well who's fault is that dude? You're like 49.
roll.png
Is this a man thing?

Last edited:
Oh Red, how terrifying! Thank you so much for the reminder. As our heat wave continues for the next couple of days I will keep up my planned hot weather schedule guilt free: feed and water all animals and gardens and hang out laundry before 10AM then spend the rest of the day inside weaving or such. Many of us tend to push too hard with things that we "must" get done regardless of the weather. We make sure everything else is taken care of and neglect our own health. It's just so hard to slow down sometimes. We have no AC (this weather is not common here), so even indoors it's important to remember to hydrate and to not get carried away.

Thanks again and I'm so glad your hubby is home and recovering.

Back
Top Bottom