Well now ive seen everything.

Ascholten

Free Ranging
Dec 12, 2020
Jacksonville, FL
So two of them want to lay an egg at the same time.
BOTH of them want the same corner, obviously... One of them is literally parked ON TOP of the other one. Im talking like they are having sex on top, she's completely on top of the other one who is hunched over sitting in the little hole she dug in the shavings to lay her egg with the black one on top of her, nussled down on top of her like SHE is a box of shavings.

They are not afraid, not spooked, just one is on top of the other one, who does not seem to mind since she's letting her sit on top of her.
5 minutes later I check on them because Im wanting to change out the shavings in the egg laying part, and I happen to look in right at the vinegar moment.
The black one lays an egg ON TOP of the red one. ON TOP of her. The egg is on her back, kind of rolled off the side a bit leaning on her back and against the wall of the coops laying box. I say What the HELL is wrong with you!! They move and shuffle around a bit, the egg rolls down ploof, down into the shavings. they grumble because I DARED to interrupt their privvy time.

You have an entire nesting area which can probably hold 6 to 8 of you, and you want to literally stand on top of each other? Why do I even bother with a coop? I mean apparently I can just stack them up inside a milk crate and they will be good!! I have heard of stubborn before but this takes the cake!

Aaron

Uh, mine will crowd together into a single nest box -- ignoring the adjacent, identical boxes, and I've seen one hen literally on top of the other. HOWEVER, I have never seen one lay an egg ON another hen. You have quite the girls there.

I had a hen brooding in a bucket and a hen determined beyond any reason to lay her eggs in that same bucket. Every day she would chase mama out, lay an egg and leave.

When lockdown started, mama decided that she would brood into of the intruder who was currently on the eggs.

Wish I had gotten a picture

That’s crazy that you saw that happen! I consistently have 2-3 in the same nest box together with 3 or 4 empty boxes right next to them. Crazy chickens. They are the epitome of “the grass is greener on the other side” 😂

Well I did get a 4 for 4 day today, and luckily none of them broken.
One odd thing I did notice.
You know how sometimes eggs can be a little long, or a little round, or a little fat in the middle or some other oddity on them. Today they are a bit rounder than usual, BUT 3 of the 4 are the same way. It's not just one chicken had an 'interesting egg' Three of them laid eggs that were a tad smaller than usual, and rounder than usual. I wonder if some external factor can cause this or did? The moon phase maybe? I honestly have no clue, just seems interesting it happened and there is nothing remarkable that I can remember over the past two days that may have scared them or otherwise influenced this that I can think of.

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom