Well, shoot!

They're actually chickens (some EEs, some BR and BO crosses).

I couldn't get a light bright enough to candle. I'm going to work on an apparatus for next time. I haven't had much time to develop one since I have so much homework towards the end of the semester.

If you can find an old slide projector that works, that is fabulous for candling. Just turn where the beam points upward and cut a hole in a washcloth and place over the beam to concentrate light. Here's the first one I had till the ancient bulb blew:
DCP_5182CandlerProjector.jpg

Here's the one I use now (DH used to be an art student so had several)
DCP_8905.jpg

Last edited:
A quick and easy candler is get a good flashlight and empty cardboard toilet paper roll. fit the toilet paper roll over the light end of the flashlight. Duct tape it on very tight.( May have cut slits in cardboard roll to make fit over end of flashlight.) On end of cardboard roll that is not taped to flashlight make a series of cuts that will slightly lap over each other when bent to the inside of the roll. After they are all bent to the inside wrap well with duct tape all around and over the cardboard roll. In the middle of the end with small scissor are knife cut a small hole(just enough to let out a small beam of light). Test it make it larger if you need more light. I used this method for many years. I would just turn off all of the lights in the room. Pull out my trays and candle. If your are laying down then carefully pick them up and candle from the large end. They are cheap and easy to make.

I have two eggs pipped and they're still zipping. 2 p.m. today marks day 20.

Temp at 99.5 and humidity at 75%.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom