Well that was Unexpected

Breed, she's a good ole American Mutt. She's got some americauna in her that's for certain. the man I got her from said there's some RIR, the rooster, in her, but you can't really tell from the coloring.

Her front is brown,tan,mottled and her back is grey, almost like someone painted half of her and let the backside grey :)

she's a sweetie too, you can pick her right up and she won't put up much of a fuss at all, though wont' come running yet like the others do when you bring snacks. (were working on that though :) )

she is absolutely the Alpha of the flock. She established that on day one. This was the fastest pecking order re arrangement I ever seen ! it was settled in a day, she beat everyone's butt once, and it's all good ! Big red, the old alpha, went in for round 2, got some feathers removed and well... they are not on speaking terms, but it's all quiet now :D

Aaron

let me find the phone. the eggs are a light brown, ill get a picture up. i did put a pic of her up somewhere.. thought it was in this thread. i'll have to wait for day time to get a better picture of her but yah she is real pretty. Some of her feathers are missing on her rear end due to the roosters she used to be with and she's a bit.. rolled thru the hay in that regards but her colors are pretty. Even if she was bald, I like her personality so she'll always be pretty in my eyes :)

Aaron

new egg.jpg

This phone really does not do it justice to the shape of the egg with it's pointy end. maybe tomorrow ill grab some of the other eggs out of the fridge and get a pic side by side for comparison to help you see the difference.

aaron

Well she laid a second egg today and it's official. her eggs are a bit pointy. It looks kind of like one of those cone head skits from years back. This is good. I like having something unique to be able to identify whom an egg came from. So lets see
Big red lays big eggs
shadow lays pink eggs
midnight lays dark brown eggs
capn fluffy lays normal but brown eggs
new girl (oh man I havent thought of a name yet) lays pointy eggs.
im thinking maybe calling her Grey Lady since she's greyish.

suggestions for a name would be welcomed :D

Aaron.

Boss Lady

Well here we are about a week later and she's finally FULLY part of the flock now.
It only took her a day to establish that she was alpha, but she was not part of the flock, when I let them out, the quartet would run off as a group to go do their thing and leave the new girl behind to pick and peck around the coop and water area. After a few days she started exploring more fully all over the yard, and now, I realized,though it might have happened quicker, she's part of the 'gang' now. She runs right with them as the go off to the water tub, under the boat, by the worm bin, etc etc to do their chickenly duties.

I am sure glad this one went so easy, my other new introductions were full of drama, a smack or two and isolation for the mean one for a few weeks to learn to leave the new ones alone.

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom