Well they have Arrived Home!!!!!

Just a little update:
Had 3 little girls with a little bit of pasty butt this morning, so the wife and I brought them in and got them cleaned up with a little bit of luke warm water. Then we applied a little vaseline to their bottoms and fixed hard boiled eggs for all the girls. Also put a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in their water this evening. Will keep doing the vinegar twice a week for a few weeks to help them in their growing period. Have a good evening.
Mark

The one thing that I forgot to mention BastyPutt is that I have noticed over the years is that I don’t seem to have a problem with fighting over the pecking order. I do believe that it’s because they are all the same breed. Now I may have a problem this go around because of the 4 Easter egger’s. But time will tell.
Mark
I've noticed that hatchery chicks are far less instinctual, ie honoring things like true pecking order, broody hens, etc.

As we hatch and get further away from the hatcheries, we find these things to become progressively more noticeable.

Pasty Butt - you can try fermenting food. It has been a staple here for the last few years and has completely eliminated PB.

Well the girls and 2 boys are now 9 weeks old. They all are doing good and just the most sociable birds I believe I have had in 20 years. Here is a picture of some of them sitting on a outside roost.
Mark
C0C4B3EA-C496-4E1E-95A0-1208C05656D4.jpeg

Well the girls and 2 boys are now 9 weeks old. They all are doing good and just the most sociable birds I believe I have had in 20 years. Here is a picture of some of them sitting on a outside roost.
Mark View attachment 3609338
Beautiful Birds and so glad that they are being so sweet!!!
Beautiful birds and so glad that they are so sociable.

They are looking great, the black one a easter egger? Mine came from Cackle also, 5 Barred Rock & 3 easter egger. One of my easter egger ended up being a cockerel, nice looking bird though.

Attachments

• 20230811_162732 (2).jpg
    20230811_162732 (2).jpg
    579.5 KB · Views: 8
They are looking great, the black one a easter egger? Mine came from Cackle also, 5 Barred Rock & 3 easter egger. One of my easter egger ended up being a cockerel, nice looking bird though.
Yes she is a Easter egger. I got 11 white rock and 4 Easter egger’s. I had ordered 10 white rocks and 1 was too be a male, when we picked them up from cackle they told me they gave us a extra white rock and it also turned out to be male but that’s all right they are getting along right now. I will see how it goes when they get a little older.
Mark

UPDATE:
Well the Boys and Girls are now 16 weeks old. I took the board covering their nesting box’s off so they can examine them. So hopefully we will start seeing some eggs in the next few weeks.
MarkView attachment 3650315View attachment 3650318
That’s really exciting that they are going to start laying soon! Good idea. I hope you will get some eggs soon!
Make sure you update us.

Back
Top Bottom