Well, they say it’s tough, but it was surprisingly easy

TheYLWFlock

Crowing
Apr 18, 2018
Kelowna, BC
So today I got two new 4 week old mixed breed pullets in exchange for two of my 6 week old Roos that I can’t keep. Problem is, they are literally half the size of the rest of my 6 weekers, possibly smaller because somewhere along the line they got some bantam mixed into them. I had heard so many stories about how newbies get picked on and how integration is just so hard and you have to do it a certain way... well I think I did it in a very different way than usual. I just put them in. Of course Pom the Ameraucana who attacks my dog and the others went right at them, pecking them. They obviously didn’t like it, so I put Pom in a wire cage inside of the run and let the others get to know each other. The babies got pecked a bit, but what do you expect? Overall it went great and they were all living in harmony. I decided to let Pom out but of course she went after them again and went right back to being in the cage. The next time I let her out, totally fine and in less than an hour I just integrated two new tiny babies into a flock with great success. I think that instead of separating the new ones in their own wire cage, you should put the main bully in, that way the rest of them become friends and when you let the bully back, it’s just going into the flock like normal if that makes sense.

They are very happy and so cute!

It can be that way with young birds, I’ve seen. I’m glad it went well. I’ll confess to tons of planning only to scrap it at the last moment when it just felt okay to just put everyone together. Planning is still good!

Back
Top Bottom