Well today was the day!!!!

tamzalicus

In the Brooder
7 Years
I'm kinda sad and REAL nervous. I moved my baby's out with my big girls this morning. I have been outside constantly to check on them after I spent 2 hours in the coup to make sure no one beat them up. Yes I know the older girls may peck at them but I wanted to be there in case they got carried away. So far none of the big girls have been real mean but now its working on night... Guess who is not sleeping to well tonight.... These are my baby's with one of the big girls..

We have had to do multiple integrations before, and it is always hard to not stop the big chickens pecking at the little ones. I can remember that the first time we integrated a lot I had a special corner of the coop all enclosed with chicken wire so that I could sleep in peace knowing that my little pullets and cockerels weren't going to be beat up for a spot on the roosting pole.

And you guys may find this funny (or not) my brooder has a curtain so when I cleaned it out I did it blind, Well as I removed my babies today I got to number seven(that's all I thought I had left) I could still hear rustling in the back of the brooder, Had to get almost all the way into the box. but guess what I found.....wait for it........ ANOTHER BABY!!!!!!So I guess my chicken math was off huh?

I introduced 7 babies - 3 Barred Rocks, 3 Ameracaunas and a Buckeye - about 4 weeks old to my 6 7-week-old girls - 3 RIRs and 3NHRs - this past weekend. One of the RIRs is an alpha hen, and one of the Ameracaunas is also very pushy. Everyone is getting along just fine! Lucy - the older alpha - tried to push Maggie - the Buckeye - out of the way from the feeder - Maggie pushed her back! It was pretty funny...

I wouldn't worry too much - the babies will find a place in the coop to gather together and protect each other as best they can, but the suggestion of separating them for a few days with wire is a very good one - they get a chance to get used to each other without personal interaction. Just keep an eye on them for the next few days...

Good luck! You'll do fine! So will the chicks!

Well,a full day down. Was scared to go out to chicken pen when I did the baby's were in the house and they were looking good. No bloody pecks and one of the baby's saw me and went to the other side of the coup to talk to me. As I was pulling grass out side of the coup my 1 baby kept following me, I had to go inside to tell the baby's and the big girls HI. Well you cant stand up straight in this coup or there yard area so I went thru the coup and sat down in their yard and just started talking to them. Guess what, My little girl that was following me around came over and sat on my lap. I wanted to cry then and it makes me wanta cry now....

Alomst as good as dogs, huh? I always, without fail, say "Hello, girls!" as I approach the coop. When I open the door and go in, all 13 chicks come over to see me. A couple of the Ameracaunas now make it a practice to fly up onto my hand to see if there's anything there - I can now hand-feed almost all of them! Sure is fun and satisfying!

Glad things went well - they will continue to do so!

Back
Top Bottom